The Sun Totally Misreads Nintendo 3DS Price Cut

August 1, 2011 -

You have to love the dramatic and often over-the-top stories from The Sun. The UK newspaper loves to write stories that can best be described as fictional. Not to infer that they lie; rather they make connections that aren't always there. Case in point is this story that comes to the conclusion that the reason Nintendo slashed the price on its 3DS was because of claims made earlier in the year by the paper (and a few other publications) that the device made its users feel "dizzy and sick."

There's some truth to their story, though not about the claims that the game gave users vertigo. For example they say that Nintendo admitted that 3DS sales did not meet expectations. That's certainly a true statement, especially considering that Nintendo's president took a pay cut.

They also quote MCV, which is a very reputable publication by anyone's measure:

"We all thought the 3DS would be popular. Which, as of yet, it hasn't really achieved."

So far, so good. But here's where The Sun gets a little bit crazy:

"But The Sun revealed a number of gamers quickly complained the 3D screen left them with headaches. Telly and radio presenter Jonathan Ross - a Nintendo champion - admitted that he got headaches after playing the console for a long time.

But others said the cutting-edge screen had IMPROVED their vision. Industry execs last night said the biggest problem was the games launched for the console simply weren't good enough.

One exec told Sun City:'"The 3DS just never really got going.'"

Thanks to Andrew Eisen for the tip and for having the voice of an angel.

[Disclaimer: The comments and opinions expressed in the story are the author's and don't represent the views of GamePolitics or parent company the ECA.]

Posted in

Comments

Re: The Sun Totally Misreads Nintendo 3DS Price Cut

The Sun is owned by the same people who owned News of the World.

Sure, the actual individuals who run it will differ but honestly, is it really surprising that they exaggerate the truth? Most media outlets do.

The truth doesn't make good entertainment... unless it's exaggerated.

Re: The Sun Totally Misreads Nintendo 3DS Price Cut

It's The Sun. It's a Tabloid. They lie.

I wonder how the Incredible Batboy is liking his 3DS...

Re: The Sun Totally Misreads Nintendo 3DS Price Cut

People still read/trust newspapers?

Re: The Sun Totally Misreads Nintendo 3DS Price Cut

I trust newspapers way more than I trust TV news. I can read the stories in my own inflection, I can skip parts that look like mostly opinion, and it's harder for them to pair unrelated images in a newspaper.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm