Playr2 Users Name Duke Nukem Forever ‘Most Disappointing’

According to new research from games comparison and marketplace website Playr2, Duke Nukem Forever has been voted the "most disappointing video game release" of the past 12 months, beating Dragon Age II and Crysis II for the top spot.

It appears that Duke Nukem Forever owners agree with what most critics had to say about the game. Members of Playr2 felt that it was the biggest disappointment of the past 12 months.

The study was conducted by gaming marketplace, in order to find out what its customers thought about this year's releases so far. Around 1,671 self confessed gamers took part in the polling. Those taking part in the study were asked, "Which video game releases of the past 12 months were you disappointed by (if any)?" Respondents were given multiple games to choose from. This may explain why some choices, such as LA Noire and Dragon Age II are so far up on this list, though chances are plenty of people were disappointed in both those titles too.

According to the results, the top 10 ‘most disappointing’ video game releases of the past 12 months were as follows:

1) Duke Nukem Forever – 41 percent

2) Dragon Age II – 39 percent

3) Crysis II – 36 percent

4) LA Noire – 34 percent

5) Brink – 32 percent

6) Killzone 3 – 30 percent

7) Dead Space II – 27 percent

8) Need for Speed: Shift 2 – 24 percent

9) Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare- 21 percent

10) Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Fate of Two Worlds- 18 percent

"With so many titles released every year, we wanted to look into which had been a hit with gaming fans; and which had failed to impress," said Simon Kilby, Founder of "Given all the bad reviews that surrounded the release of Duke Nukem Forever, it wasn’t surprising to see it clinch the top spot as the most disappointing game for the past 12 months. I think fans and reviewers alike felt let down by the storyline and graphics, with it failing to impress many."

"Many game titles have a lot to live up to, particularly if their predecessors have been a hit," he added. "Nevertheless, games are continuing to evolve in terms of graphic and features; so expectations are getting higher and higher all the time."

Grif says:

I think Undead Nightmare made the list because it was released as a stand-alone disc. The disappointment factor was probably in its brevity. I guess most people bought it expecting it to be a full 40-hour experience.

Andrew Eisen says:

Surprised to see Undead Nightmare on there.  For one, it's downloadable content.  For two, I've heard only good things about it.

Andrew Eisen

Grif says:

Are you sure you played the same game I did? Because I had no problem with the graphics, mechanics, or shooting. I played through and enjoyed the game just fine. I still play on multiplayer.

That being said, just because you didn't enjoy a game doesn't necessarily make it bad. It just means you don't like it. Take Brink for example. I hated the game, but I can't in good conscience call it a bad game. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I think Duke just got a bad rap because everyone was expecting something that would blow Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo out of the water. But if you really enjoyed the Duke Nukem 3D like you say you did, there's no reason not to enjoy DNF, because that's exactly what it is.

There's a trick that's almost guaranteed to help you enjoy any game: Leave your expectations and preconceptions at the door, and just play. Expecting the greatest thing since the game you played before it is the reason good games get bad reputations. *CoughChaosLegionCough*

Grif says:

Perhaps I veiled my humor too much. I wasn't actually being serious. Then again, upon reading it again, I did come off as a hipster, didn't I? My bad.

Point is, hellfire's point is still valid. I think people are disappointed in Duke Nukem because they expected it to be similar to Call of Duty or Halo, when that's just not fair. That's the same reason why most JRPG fans don't like Final Fantasy anymore; it's "not like Final Fantasy 7 or 10". While I don't have any statistical data to back it up, I'm more than willing to bet that most people who consider 7 or 10 the "best" are the people who started with 7 or 10.

What I said before was serious enough, though. If you want CoD, Halo, or Final Fantasy, then freaking PLAY CoD, Halo, or Final Fantasy. Don't rake a game over the coals just because it doesn't fit your perception of what a game should be.

Shahab says:

Duke Forever was just a bad game. Everyone has their own opinion of course but at the end of the day technically it was a bad game. Poor graphics, poor mechanics, unsatisfying shooting, etc. I played the hell out of Duke 3d when I was about 14 or so and loved it. Hell, I really liked Duke Nukem 2, and played the original Duke game. Lets all be honest about the turd that Forever was.

Neeneko says:

*sigh* this is becoming the goodwin of DNF… 'if you didn't like it, you must have been too young to play DN3D came out!'

Get over it.  Plenty of people who were around for the earlier version disliked it.

Grif says:

I guess it doesn't help that most of those polled probably weren't even born when  Duke Nukem 3D came out. If you want Call of Duty or Halo, then PLAY Call of Duty or Halo. Don't say a game is disappointing just because it's not a carbon copy of your favorite ADD shooter.