Sony, LulzSec Honored with Pwnies

August 5, 2011 -

At the annual Black Hat hacker convention that happened in Las Vegas this week Sony earned a dubious distinction of the security breach that took several of its services down for nearly two months. The awards are called "Pwnies" and - unless you are a hacker - you don’t want to be "honored" with on. Sony earned the "Most Epic Fail" award for the massive security breach that brought down the PlayStation Network and related services for nearly two months earlier this year. Sony had been nominated a whopping five times for the same award, making it the de facto winner no matter what. Obviously no one from Sony was there to accept the award. ,

Dai Zovi, one of the eight judges who picked the winners offered a legal disclaimer for all the Pwnie awards: "We want to make sure that for some of these categories, we're not condoning this type of behavior, but recognizing its significance. Because nothing works more awesome than giving everything your 110%, soaring on your dreams, and making your failing even more epic."

On a less nefarious note, the Pwnie award for best song went to Geohot, for The Light It Up Contest. Other "winners" included RSA, who picked up the "Lamest Vendor Response" award for the SecurID hack; a lifetime achievement award went to pipacs, who is perhaps best known for inventing address space layout randomization (ASLR); security researcher Tarjei Mandt won the "Best Privilege Escalation Bug," for discovering Windows kernel win32k user-mode callback vulnerabilities; Comex won the Pwnie for "Best Client-Side Bug" for an attack that was used to jailbreak iOS devices; Piotr Bania won the Pwnie for most innovative research for taking a document containing recommendations for improving Windows security and implementing them within the kernel drivers in Windows; and LulzSec was honored with the Pwnie for "Epic 0wnage" for "hacking everyone."

Source: Information Week

Comments

Re: Sony, LulzSec Honored with Pwnies

WWRDD?

What would Rainbow Dash do? <3

Re: Sony, LulzSec Honored with Pwnies

That I can get behind. I'm glad they took the time to straighten that out a little. I get that it's all for fun, I just hope it doesn't promote the behavior.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm