Young Hacker Shines at DefCon

August 9, 2011 -

Last week at the DefCon hacking conference in Las Vegas there were some unfamiliar faces wandering around the event: teens and children. For the first time since it was founded 18 years ago, DefCon has opened its doors to young people ages 8 to 16. Parents who regularly attend the event were delighted about the news. All of the young attendees had to be accompanied by an adult, and some of the most difficult competitions were geared toward the young participants. Those competitions included lock-picking and finding the weak points in popular software and computer hardware. The kids in attendance did not disappoint adults who were mesmerized by their skills.

One hacker that really impressed the crowds was a 10-year old who went by the name CyFi, who discovered how to hack mobile games on Android and iOS devices. CyFi discovered that adjusting her phone’s clock allowed her to speed up the progress of the game. CyFi also discovered that, by disconnecting the phone’s Wi-Fi, she could make the clock adjustments and then resume play at a faster rate.

CyFi called it a "zero-day hack" and showed off her technique to 100 fellow hackers at DefCon. The hack is called zero-day because game developers have not figured out that their games may be vulnerable to this particular hack. The young hacker refused to name her targets to give them time to fix the problem before hordes of other hackers use the hack to speed up their own game play.

Source: Washington Post

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpvalet about parking info01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpyour glenn beck to her republican party. you can refut all you want, but its not going to matter until femfreq comes out and disputes these claims because you are not a member of fem freq. you are a second party. I dont ask the man standing next to the01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
Wonderkarpis free gifts01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
WonderkarpListen and Believe is one of the slogans Femfreq touts on twitter. and Non profits are in danger of losing their tax exempt status by merchandising. Its a big nono. I worked at the MDA for a while and they do NOT sell merchandise. anything they do have01/31/2015 - 6:38pm