Activision Not Concerned with Facebook Space

August 10, 2011 -

Activision went out of its way to say that its marquee AAA franchise, Call of Duty, has nothing to fear from Facebook. While its biggest Rival, Electronic Arts has invested billions of dollars in the social gaming space, Activision has no interest in tackling the space, and isn't concerned one bit with what is going on there. The company says that focusing its resources on a few core franchises for traditional gaming platforms is the right path to take.

"Call of Duty has more players who pay-to-play online than any Facebook game, and our players pay more per player on average than any Facebook game," Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said in a statement at the 13th Annual Pacific Crest Global Technology Leadership Forum. "They're also more engaged - the percentage of Call of Duty's monthly unique players that play the game every day is higher than that of the top three Facebook games."

"Despite all the hand-wringing in our industry right now, people aren't gaming less. In fact, they're gaming more than ever. They're just doing it with fewer games, and they're spending more time playing those games than ever before. Last year, of the top ten best-selling games, all ten of them were based on strong existing franchises, and nine of those ten were online enabled."

It's certainly a unique strategy but one that may change as Activision sees how much money other companies are making by contributing to the space.

Source: Gamasutra by way of C&VG

Comments

Re: Activision Not Concerned with Facebook Space

Why would they want to buy more baskets? All of their eggs fit so nicely into the one they have!

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm