Playing Games with Google+

August 12, 2011 -

Yesterday Google+ rolled out 16 games from various publishers to a handful of "invited" members, as the search giant continued its move to be like another social network we all know and love.

The games included Angry Birds, Bejeweled Blitz, Crime City, Bubble Island, Monster World, Diamond Dash and BioWare's Dragon Age Legends. While rival Facebook may offer thousands of games right now, Google+ hopes to differentiate itself by offering less game-related spam.

“We want to make playing games online just as fun… as playing in real life,” explained Google’s senior VP of engineering Vic Gundotra in a blog post. “That means giving you control over when you see games, how you play them and with whom you share your experiences. Games in Google+ are there when you want them and gone when you don’t.”

The Google+ game section will have a button at the top of the stream, alongside everything else you can do in Google+ - which at this point isn't much.

"If you’re not interested in games, it’s easy to ignore them," added Gundotra. "Your stream will remain focused on conversations with the people you care about."

Google says that it’s now beginning to "gradually roll out games" and plans on "making them fully available… soon." Let us all hope that it doesn't end up being lame like Chrome's game section.

Source: Rolling Stone

Posted in

Comments

Re: Playing Games with Google+

i cant find the games, anyone else see them?

Re: Playing Games with Google+

The invitations only went out to a small select group to test. Once they officially launch there will be an icon on the top of your page next to the circles icon.

And a big Kudos to G+ for reducing the spam with the introduction of these games, that's a big plus in my book. I'm all for playing games but I don't need to see everyone status of every step they take in game (I'm looking at you Facebook).

Re: Playing Games with Google+

There is no actual notification/invite if you can access them.  It just sorta appears.

Re: Playing Games with Google+

yeah, I noticed almost an hour after I posted the icon was suddenly on my G+ page. The games are some of the same as the ones on Facebook but no spamming of your feed which is great.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm