Playing Games with Google+

August 12, 2011 -

Yesterday Google+ rolled out 16 games from various publishers to a handful of "invited" members, as the search giant continued its move to be like another social network we all know and love.

The games included Angry Birds, Bejeweled Blitz, Crime City, Bubble Island, Monster World, Diamond Dash and BioWare's Dragon Age Legends. While rival Facebook may offer thousands of games right now, Google+ hopes to differentiate itself by offering less game-related spam.

“We want to make playing games online just as fun… as playing in real life,” explained Google’s senior VP of engineering Vic Gundotra in a blog post. “That means giving you control over when you see games, how you play them and with whom you share your experiences. Games in Google+ are there when you want them and gone when you don’t.”

The Google+ game section will have a button at the top of the stream, alongside everything else you can do in Google+ - which at this point isn't much.

"If you’re not interested in games, it’s easy to ignore them," added Gundotra. "Your stream will remain focused on conversations with the people you care about."

Google says that it’s now beginning to "gradually roll out games" and plans on "making them fully available… soon." Let us all hope that it doesn't end up being lame like Chrome's game section.

Source: Rolling Stone

Posted in

Comments

Re: Playing Games with Google+

i cant find the games, anyone else see them?

Re: Playing Games with Google+

The invitations only went out to a small select group to test. Once they officially launch there will be an icon on the top of your page next to the circles icon.

And a big Kudos to G+ for reducing the spam with the introduction of these games, that's a big plus in my book. I'm all for playing games but I don't need to see everyone status of every step they take in game (I'm looking at you Facebook).

Re: Playing Games with Google+

There is no actual notification/invite if you can access them.  It just sorta appears.

Re: Playing Games with Google+

yeah, I noticed almost an hour after I posted the icon was suddenly on my G+ page. The games are some of the same as the ones on Facebook but no spamming of your feed which is great.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm