Google to Acquire Motorola for $12.5 Billion

August 15, 2011 -

This morning in a blog post Google CEO Larry Page said that the search giant had reached an agreement to acquire cellphone maker and electronics company Motorola for "a total of about $12.5 billion" or $40 per share in cash. Page believes that the partnership between the two companies will "create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers everywhere."

Page went on to say that the U.S. Department of Justice needed to intervene in a recent patent auction to 'prevent competition and innovation in the open source software community.'" Sounds like someone is looking for some anti-trust action against one of its competitors... He also said that the acquisition of Motorola will strengthen Google's patent portfolio, allowing them to "protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies."

"The combination of Google and Motorola will not only supercharge Android, but will also enhance competition and offer consumers accelerating innovation, greater choice, and wonderful user experiences," Page added.

Source: GamePro

Comments

Re: Google to Acquire Motorola for $12.5 Billion

Just one query, does this mean no more MOTOBLUR? If it does, "DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD!"

----
Papa Midnight

Re: Google to Acquire Motorola for $12.5 Billion

I guess that's one way to make sure Motorola unlocks the bootloaders on its Android phones.

Re: Google to Acquire Motorola for $12.5 Billion

Thank you for mentioning the patent angle. Gamasutra reported on this and completely ignored that aspect of the buyout.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am