Hamburg, Germany: Embracing the Game Industry

August 17, 2011 -

Hamburg, Germany is one of Europe's leading games industry hotspots, according to new data released by gamecity:Hamburg. According to new data from the group dedicated to creating the perfect environment for the game industry in the city, 146 companies do business in Hamburg and employ 2,510 people in fulltime positions. The video game industry in Hamburg also supports 382 freelance jobs, as well as 676 employees of Hamburg-based enterprises working in locations outside the city. Hamburg's industry workforce currently stands at around 3,568. These figures come from the group's annual job market survey.

Hamburg's gaming industry counted some 1,900 permanent employees in 2009, and increased by 600 since that time. Online game developers in particular have been showing above-average growth, with 75 game development studios and publishing companies based in Hamburg constituting the largest employment numbers. Six major companies have staff of 100 employees or more and make up about half of the 2,510 permanent jobs. Around 102 companies with ten employees or less were recorded in this year's job market survey. The industry growth is also reflected by gamecity:Hamburg's membership figures. This year, the network says it welcomed 200 new members, bringing the total up to 2,000 individuals representing 1,100 different companies.

"Our annual industry survey allows us to collect valuable information and feedback on the work we do," explains Stefan Klein, Managing Director of gamecity:Hamburg. "We also ask the companies to participate in a site ranking, where we pay particular attention to what the newly located businesses report. The fact that Hamburg is ranked ahead of all other federal states every year is not a matter of course. To us, it is the measure of our efforts."

The group also claims that 500 jobs are available in city but does not explain the particulars on that..

Comments

Re: Hamburg, Germany: Embracing the Game Industry

Great now stop your censorship please.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am