HP Officially Kills webOS

August 19, 2011 -

One year after acquiring webOS from Palm, HP has decided that the mobile OS is no longer worth the effort. Hewlett-Packard officially announced this week that support for webOS will soon come to a screeching halt. The company announced via a press release that "it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward."

The Palm smartphone OS began its existence on the Pre and Pixi smartphones. After the $1.2 billion purchase, HP launched the Pre2 and Veer smartphones and the TouchPad tablet. But despite several celebrity endorsements and appearances on popular TV shows, webOS just couldn't gain the steam it needed to survive in a world dominated by Android, Windows Phone 7, and Apple's iOS. Most tech experts agree that the lack of software for the operating system, coupled with the inability to compete with the fierce competition in smartphone space were likely the cause of HP's decision.

Source: IGN

Comments

Re: HP Officially Kills webOS

Not surprising considering they're shutting down their computer division altogether and focusing on their peripherals division (printers, scanners, etc)

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm