13-Year-Old Accused of Killing Baby for Interrupting Video Game

Oklahoma City police have arrested a 13-year-old boy in connection with the death of his nine-month-old baby sister after a questionable story of what happened to the child was told to the staff at a metro hospital. ER doctors became suspicious and called the local police. Officers were called to a metro hospital on August 16 after doctors noted that the baby's injuries were not consistent with an explanation given by the girl's parents.

The child was treated at Children's Hospital for a severe brain injury and skull fracture. The 13-year-old, Crystian Rivera told police he was playing a video game when his baby sister fell down and started to cry. Rivera admitted to officers that he became angry and frustrated when his character in the video game he was playing was killed. He apparently shook the girl, according to the police report. He went back to playing his video game as the child cried and eventually fell asleep, he said. Rivera was booked into the Oklahoma County Jail but no charges have been filed yet. The nine-month-old died on Friday from her injuries.

Source: News Channel KOCO

AndrewWinters says:

If you get so angry that you kill your sibling because of a video game loss, you obviously have bigger issues to deal with that have nothing to do with the game you're playing…

E. Zachary Knight says:

There has been a number of recent studies of previous shaken baby syndrome that have raised concerns over that diagnosis. Basically, a lot of medical specialists feel that shaken baby syndrome has been misdiagnosed causing many people to be falsely accused and convicted.

That is not to say it doesn't happen, but not as common as one might expect.

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Vake Xeacons says:

Precisely. We've even had a lot of cases of parents losing their temper at babies and shaking them. And we expect a 13-year-old to be a perfectly upstanding babysitter?

elsimer says:

part of the problem is that shaken baby syndrome is the leading cause of infant deaths anyway – how can we expect a teenager (or pre-teen) to do better than many adults? That being said, I don’t think the video game is at fault here.

Vake Xeacons says:

I have to agree. The title seems to respond to another case of game-related murder accusation, while the article is a classic case of "Don't shake the baby."

Austin from Oregon says:

I normally don't comment much about GP editing, but I've been writing application essays all day so I'm kind of sensitive to it. This article is kind of hard to read, and it's title doesn't completely match the content as it's presented. Not trying to knock it, but I did want to mention that it was noticeable for me. I'm just confused on the details, and it may just be the source material, did the crying interrupt the game to piss him off? Or did the 13-year-old just get mad at the tv and take it out on his sister?

Neeneko says:

Nothing can be done about it.

It is a very old problem, and short of rewiring humans (which would require massive and ongoing eugenics) such behaviors are unlikely to change much.

kurifu says:

Lots of writing about people dying in some vaguely related way to video games recently, it almost getting as bad as my local newspaper. There is no value in this article, and it only serves to depress people.

Grif says:

While I generally agree, it also depends on the individual. I personally know a couple of 12-year-old brothers who are more mature and responsible than most adults I know.