Georgia Teen Killer to be Charged as an Adult

August 22, 2011 -

The Georgian teen that murdered his great grandmother and injured his grandmother with a sword after being told to stop playing video games and do his chores, will be tried as an adult, according to a Reuters report. The 15-year-old's name was also released, along with the names of the victims in the incident. The 15-year-old has been identified as Gevin Prince, and the 77-year-old great-grandmother who died from multiple stab wounds has been identified as Mary Joan Gibbs.

"He also attacked his grandmother and cut her severely," Douglas County District Attorney David McDade told Reuters last week.

McDade added that, under Georgia law, Prince would be prosecuted as an adult and that --while video games seem to be at the heart of the case-- a motive for the gruesome crime has not yet been established.

"We have been told there was some dispute over a video game but we haven't been able to confirm that," said McDade.

Prosecutors will also investigate whether Prince suffers from ongoing mental health issues.

"Obviously the crime he is charged with committing is one that invites scrutiny of his mental health," said the district attorney. "We will address that at the appropriate time."

Source: Reuters

Comments

Re: Georgia Teen Killer to be Charged as an Adult

Considering he had previous issues/incidents, I really don't think he should be tried as an adult. Its more of a failure of the family not to have gotten him help or restricted his access to the weapon he used once before.

I am by no means saying they deserved it, just saying that minors are minors, and ones with mental health issues are dependent on their families to help them.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Georgia Teen Killer to be Charged as an Adult

Hear hear. This only makes a terrible case worse in my view...

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm
Goth_SkunkBut such a hangout *could* be a neat idea. It could be used, for example, for all us GPers to get together and watch the new FemFreq video, and then discuss amongst ourselves in real time what our thoughts are.08/31/2015 - 8:38pm