PA. Lawyer Disbarred for Video Game Addiction

August 22, 2011 -

A Carlisle, Pennsylvania, lawyer blamed his addiction to video games for sloppy legal work that inevitably resulted in a three-year suspension of his ability to practice law in the state. 43-year-old attorney Mathew Eshelman claimed that he immersed himself in video games to fight job stress and problems at home.

His alleged addiction managed to get him fired from the law firm he worked for in 2007, but he continued his "addiction" even as he set up his practice and took on new clients. This month the Pennsylvania Supreme Court Disciplinary Board's report detailed 17 cases Eshelman mishandled. The cases included bankruptcy, divorce, and debt collection. While handling these cases, he missed deadlines and court dates, lost track of client money, ignored client phone calls, and even lied in a divorce filing on one occasion.

Clients, angry at the bad service the attorney provided, began filing complaints to the disciplinary board in 2007.

Testifying in front of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court Disciplinary Board, Eshelman admitted that he had a problem and needed to rebuild his life. The board agreed and gave him a three-year suspension from practicing law. While the board wanted to give him five years, they took into consideration that -at one time - he was a decent lawyer.

Source: Philly.com

Comments

Re: PA. Lawyer Disbarred for Video Game Addiction

from what i read here, it looks like he was disbarred for his professional misconduct.  from what i gather he basically said that he let his gaming habits get out of control so they gave him a nice long unpaid vacation.

Re: PA. Lawyer Disbarred for Video Game Addiction

Wait, was he disbarred for video game addiction, or was he disbarred for problems in his professional standards and behavior but blamed (perhaps rightly so) on video game addiction.

The two are VERY different things.

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm