Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

August 24, 2011 -

Customers, disgusted over Ubisoft's bait-and-switch relating to the DRM in the PC version of From Dust are authorizing Steam to give its customers refunds. The decision to give people back their money for the game came after the company flip-flopped on DRM inclusion in From Dust.

Earlier this month a company spokesperson claimed that the game would not contain any kind of DRM. Recently it was revealed upon the release that From Dust did in fact contain DRM in it. Fans, already sick of Ubisoft's "always-on" DRM scheme in other Ubisoft games were vocal in their discomfort with the company. Rock Paper Shotgun readers report that they have received emails from Steam support that say the following:

"If you don't want to wait for the patch or if you haven't played the game, per Ubisoft's request, we will issue refunds [for] this title."

It didn't help that the PC port of the XBLA title also had plenty of technical issues and some bugs that made playing the game a hassle..

Source: RPS by way of Joystiq.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

but WAIT!

didn't this same company just recently say their DRM wasn't only effective, but well adhered to by the fanbase of these games?!

hmmm complete turn around on 2 fronts here me thinks.

1. saying the DRM won't be there

2. saying the DRM was good and no one really cared about it (which is beyond an obvious lie)

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

Seems the treatment is worse than the illness.  Here they go actual lost sales, there more real then losses suffered from piracy.

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

I swore off all Ubisoft games a couple of years ago and every time I read about them I am glad I did.

They have done nothing over the years to redeem themselves in my eyes.

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

That makes two of us. I went as far as to get into the Festivus spirit and air grievances on the Steam forums. Of course in reality, it's probably meaningless in the long run but somebody had to say it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1850437

----
Papa Midnight

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

I wonder if Ubi is ever going to consider factors like pointless delays, bad porting, and obnoxious DRM as factors for why their PC games don't do that well.

Nah, that'd imply that they're doing something wrong. Must be pirates!

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

Don't forget the old standby "The pc is a dying market"!

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm