iPhone Jailbreaker Gets Apple Internship

August 26, 2011 -

Apple has hired the man responsible for creating a website that allowed visitors to jailbreak their iPhones by simply clicking a link. The 19-year-old hacker, Nicholas Allegra (who goes by the alias "comex") announced via Twitter that Apple has hired him as an intern.

Allegra used a flaw in how iOS handled PDF files to create jailbreakme.com. The website made the process of jailbreaking an iPhone as easy as visiting his webpage. Apple quickly patched the flaw, but Allegra found other flaws to continue his jailbreaking work. The third version of the site used another PDF-handling flaw that could jailbreak other iOS devices including the iPad 2.

Allegra was outed by Forbes as a Brown University student earlier this month, has been involved in the iPhone-hacking scene for awhile. Last year he helped George "geohot" Hotz build a jailbreak tool called limera1n and co-developed a workaround for jailbroken iPhones that refused to load DRM-protected iBooks.

"It's been really, really fun, but it's also been a while and I've been getting bored," Allegra wrote on Twitter. "So, the week after next I will be starting an internship with Apple."

Source: Ars Technica

Posted in

Comments

Re: iPhone Jailbreaker Gets Apple Internship

This is what companies should do. Person X finds a major flaw in your product, hire person X so they can make a better product for you. This will net the company a better product and a better reputation as well.

Re: iPhone Jailbreaker Gets Apple Internship

Maybe I should hack their website. They might give me a job.

Re: iPhone Jailbreaker Gets Apple Internship

So, he routinely finds major flaws (perhaps even day 1 level issues) in apple's iOS, and they *only* give him an internship?

Re: iPhone Jailbreaker Gets Apple Internship

Still better than the lawsuit he would have gotten if this was Sony.

Poll

Will the New Nintendo 3DS be region free?:

ZenI have to toss my hat in for Michael Jai White as well...he would make a hell of a Luke Cage I believe.09/03/2014 - 1:56am
Andrew EisenI love Terry Crews but I'm not sure he fits Luke Cage's personality (maybe Crews' acting range is broader than I realize?). How about Michael Jai White?09/02/2014 - 11:25pm
Papa MidnightTerry Crews for Luke Cage. Make it happen, Marvel and Netflix :)09/02/2014 - 9:58pm
prh99I would be shocked if Nintendo said it was region free, or even made it optional like XBox 360 for that matter.09/02/2014 - 7:22pm
Matthew WilsonI should say the recent past.09/02/2014 - 6:58pm
Matthew Wilsongiven their past, I do not blame people for thinking they will not change. I think they will keep region locking too.09/02/2014 - 6:48pm
E. Zachary KnightMan. People have no confidence in Nintendo regarding region locking the New 3DS.09/02/2014 - 6:20pm
Andrew EisenThat doesn't mean there has to be a movie though. Having said that, I've no doubt that we will eventually get a Black Panther movie. But Stan Lee will probably learn about it around the same time you and I do.09/02/2014 - 2:34pm
MaskedPixelanteWell they have to get to him eventually. Captain America's shield didn't grow on a tree, the minerals to make it had to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is Wakanda.09/02/2014 - 2:31pm
E. Zachary KnightYes, but it has never been confirmed as in development, or even pre-production.09/02/2014 - 2:21pm
MaskedPixelanteBlack Panther's been on the short list for a while.09/02/2014 - 2:18pm
E. Zachary KnightIt is possible that Stan Lee mispoke. I don't think he knows everything Marvel movies. But it is a sweet idea if true.09/02/2014 - 2:04pm
Andrew EisenSo says Stan Lee who almost certainly wouldn't know.09/02/2014 - 2:04pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marvel-Black-Panther-Movie-Confirmed-By-Stan-Lee-66993.html Black Panther is apparently getting a movie. And maybe one for Black Widow, even though I think it's too late for her.09/02/2014 - 1:53pm
Cheater87Look what FINALLY came to Australia uncut! http://www.gamespot.com/articles/left-4-dead-2-gets-reclassified-in-australia/1100-6422038/09/02/2014 - 6:49am
Andrew EisenHence the "Uh, yeah. Obviously."09/02/2014 - 12:53am
SleakerI think Nintendo has proven over the last 2 years that it doesn't.09/02/2014 - 12:31am
Andrew EisenSleaker - Uh, yeah. Obviously.09/01/2014 - 8:20pm
Sleaker@AE - exclusives do not a console business make.09/01/2014 - 8:03pm
Papa MidnightI find it disappointing that, despite the presence of a snopes article and multiple articles countering it, people are still spreading a fake news story about a "SWATter" being sentenced to X (because the number seems to keep changing) years in prison.09/01/2014 - 5:08pm