Jagex: Platform Holders Were Opposed to 'Universal Community'

August 26, 2011 -

Speaking at the recent Edinburgh Interactive conference, Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard said that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all opposed the idea of the company's MMO Runescape letting players interact with other players on rival platforms.

"Some console owners wanted us to charge five Euros for Runescape. What? It would be crazy to charge for Runescape on consoles," he said. "But Sony was ahead of the game, they said they get it. They understand free. But all three said, 'okay, but, we won’t let our console play online with any other'."

"They said, ‘we cannot let the Microsoft community play with the Sony community’. Okay fine then, we said, we just won’t do it," he continued. "We’re not going to frame [as in, segregate] our community into boxes just for a few million more customers. Of course I’d love a few million more customers, but I just wouldn’t do it. Not at the expense of fracturing it, because you almost become the disease you’re trying to solve."

Gerhard went on to say that the game will have a universal community, that it is well positioned to ship across multiple platforms, and that the game would remain free-to-play.

Source: Develop by way of MCV UK

Comments

Re: Jagex: Platform Holders Were Opposed to 'Universal ...

I'm not entirely sure what Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are worried about.

I can talk to a Sony player right now, via my computer. Does that mean that Sony is losing a customer due to computers? No, it doesn't.

My point is that just because a person playing a PS3 can talk with a person playing on an Xbox 360 doesn't mean they're going to want to automatically change consoles. In fact, a "universal community" would probably be welcomed by many gamers as they could then talk to friends who have different consoles than they do.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are basically giving up what could be a good investment simply because their egos are too big to let competitors customers in.

Re: Jagex: Platform Holders Were Opposed to 'Universal ...

Glad they are sticking to their guns. I think it is important to hold a community together.

As a Flash game developer, we plan on releasing our games on Facebook, Google + (when it becomes available for "common" developers), Kongregate and our own sites. We would not want to fracture those communities either. It is bad business.

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm