Developer: Australian Game Industry Not Dead

August 29, 2011 -

Australia has had more than its share of studio closures and mergers over the past few months, but one Australian developer says that the industry's death in the country has been exaggerated, adding that it isn't even "wounded." Australian videogame developer Stephan Shutze says that, despite appearances, the Australian videogame industry is not in trouble at all.

Shutze said that the Australian industry is simply changing, and while those changes can be difficult for those directly affected by it (in the form of layoffs, closures, and relocations), it is simply the natural course of a metamorphosis rather than a tragedy. He also compared the industry to the movie industry in the 20th century, which changed from the gigantic movie studio structure to smaller independent studios. Finally he noted that the success of free-to-play and casual space on new platforms has caught a lot of big studios off guard.

"Smaller independent studios have rushed in and achieved success in many surprising ways," he said. "Even individual developers are creating a living for themselves producing small titles. And before you discount this as relevant to the survival of an industry, ask how many film producers can generate a living income by themselves."

You can read his entire commentary at The Age.

Source: The Escapist.

Comments

Re: Developer: Australian Game Industry Not Dead

No, it's dead or at least on life support. The nanny state goverment made sure of that when it ripped out the spines of both the Australian gamer and game developers and crushed it with it's tyrant foot.

-------

"WARNING GUARANTEE: This post contains material which a truly free society would neither fear nor suppress."

Re: Developer: Australian Game Industry Not Dead

Well the politicians down there certainly aren't helping.

Re: Developer: Australian Game Industry Not Dead

Totally should have made the caption in the picture say "STILL ALIVE".

Poll