Bethesda and the Word 'The'

August 30, 2011 -

If you think that the cease and desist letter Bethesda sent Minecraft developer Mojang over plans to use the word "Scrolls" in its next game is ridiculous, then Andrew Eisen's latest video will make a lot of sense. After all, if one company can go after another for "Scrolls" then they can go after anyone for any other seemingly innocuous or common word. Take the word "the," for example...

You can check out Andrew's previous videos on his YouTube channel.

Comments

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

Hey Andy,

This is your old buddy Clayton from Phoenix. Hit me up man. My contact information is on my website.. www.camsap.com

Talk to you later man. Love the videos man!!'

Clayton

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

While I know this was intended to be humorous, and it was... I look forward to the day when the 'trademark the word 'the'' examples die the horrible death they deserve.  Constructing strawmen rarely lead anywhere useful... it is kinda like that other piece about the hacktivists poking that dog fighting game.. it gets you props within your own community, but outside kinda reinforces some rather douchy assumptions people have about gamers.

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

You know, I've never actually seen anyone use the "trademark the word 'the'" scenario.  Doesn't surprise me that many apparently have though.  It's a pretty obvious joke.

Still, hopefully you're taking my video as the satire that I intended it to be and not as an actual strawman argument.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

Then hows this: every indie developer takes the words, "Scrolls," "Oblivion," "Elder," and (why not) "The" and uses them in every combination of phrase to see who can come up with the best title. Then distribute a game for it!

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

This would accomplish what exactly?

Poll

Whose next half decade of superhero films are you most looking forward to?:

ZippyDSMleeConster:Some PSP games are 10-20$, you can buy a few then rip them yourself or find an ISO. The emu is PPSSPP.I'm I the only one that hates crisis core?10/31/2014 - 11:28am
ConsterZippy: uh, thanks? Don't know any PSP games, though.10/31/2014 - 10:10am
ZippyDSMleehttp://arstechnica.com/business/2014/10/fcc-reportedly-close-to-reclassifying-isps-as-common-carriers/10/31/2014 - 9:44am
ZippyDSMleesomewhat ammuseing, http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/metallica_ask_fans_for_help_with_two_new_reissues.html10/31/2014 - 9:25am
Neo_DrKefkaAnyone remember that portrait from Resident Evil 1 in the gallery about a Middle Aged man full of worries? Anyone know the name of that portrait?10/31/2014 - 12:45am
MechaTama31Yeah, don't see myself getting a Vita or a PSTV...10/31/2014 - 12:04am
E. Zachary KnightWatch Ultron ruin all your Disney childhood memories in this How The Ultron Teaser Should Have Ended. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra1sBRLRFtc10/30/2014 - 9:23pm
ZippyDSMleeConster:they finally made a working worth while PSP emulator.10/30/2014 - 8:10pm
quiknkoldMechatama31, you can get VC2 on the Vita and Vita TV. you have to buy it through PSN on PS3 and transfer it to vita and then playstation tv. I have it on my PS TV and it works10/30/2014 - 7:15pm
MechaTama31I loved Valkyria Chronicles. Still super cheesed off that the sequels were PSP-only... :/10/30/2014 - 6:57pm
ConsterI played Steamworld Dig on the 3DS, and it's pretty fun.10/30/2014 - 6:51pm
Matthew WilsonRECOMMENDED: OS: Windows 7 Processor: Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.8GHz (or equivalent) Memory: 3 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 (or equivalent) Hard Drive: 25 GB available space10/30/2014 - 5:49pm
Matthew Wilsonhere hare the system requirements. make of ithem what you will. MINIMUM: OS: Windows Vista/Windows 7 Processor: Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.0GHz (or equivalent) Memory: 2 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 (or equivalent) Hard Drive: 25 GB available spa10/30/2014 - 5:48pm
Andrew EisenStill a game I really want to play. Hope it's a solid port.10/30/2014 - 5:42pm
Matthew WilsonValkyria Chronicles pc port needs 25ggb. not bad exept this game came out in 08 on the ps3.10/30/2014 - 4:56pm
james_fudgeEZK: my sarcasm senses are tingling ;)10/30/2014 - 4:21pm
Andrew EisenIf it's any consolation, Xbox owners, Wii U owners don't get the game at all. And if we did, we'd probably never get the DLC.10/30/2014 - 4:19pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://kotaku.com/destinys-new-dlc-kinda-screws-over-xbox-players-1652294153 Sucks when the shoe's on the other foot, huh.10/30/2014 - 4:12pm
E. Zachary KnightSo a vocational school in Oklahoma is being evacuated because someone found a briefcase in the bathroom. Imagine that. A briefcase ina school. That's unpossible.10/30/2014 - 3:33pm
prh99Also, Nintendo wants to watch you sleep..for Science! (*in best Cave Johnson voice) http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/nintendo-wants-to-watch-you-sleep-for-science/10/30/2014 - 2:47pm