EA: 'Never Say Never' to EA Games Back on Steam

August 30, 2011 -

Speaking to Eurogamer recently, EA Europe's top executive said that seeing future games on Valve's platform, despite recent disputes, is still a possibility.

"Never say never," said Jens Uwe Intat when asked by Eurogamer if EA could fully embrace Valve’s Steam platform again. "When we were talking about it's best for the consumer that competition is a good thing, for the consumer also choice is a good thing."

"Competition and choice go hand in hand. So the fact we will only distribute our own games on our own platform, I don't see that," he added.

The dispute between EA and Valve began earlier in the year when EA wanted to directly sell add-ons to its games sold through Steam. Valve did not want this. Because Valve saw this as a violation of Steam’s terms and conditions, it removed the games in question from its Steam Store.

For its part, Valve has softened its rhetoric concerning EA, with Game Newell even going so far as saying that Steam needs to convince EA that its platform is important for them and that it has value.

Source: Eurogamer by way of Develop

Comments

Re: EA: 'Never Say Never' to EA Games Back on Steam

And yet ages ago they officially said that Star Wars: The Old Republic would only be available digitally through Origin. So where's the choice there?

---
I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Re: EA: 'Never Say Never' to EA Games Back on Steam

The BF2 trailers convinced me I want it but not selling it on steam probably means I won't be buying it.

Re: EA: 'Never Say Never' to EA Games Back on Steam

How I read this: "Origin might tank. Who knows!?!"

Re: EA: 'Never Say Never' to EA Games Back on Steam

One can always dream, for I wish Origin will tank too.

Poll