Why You Probably Won't See Minecraft on Steam

August 30, 2011 -

Mojang front man Markus Persson has revealed that Minecraft is not and probably will not ever be sold through Valve's Steam service because of its "restrictive terms of service." In a post on his blog, Persson said that while Steam is "the best digital distribution platform I've ever seen," Valve's control of the platform (which he doesn't have a problem with) limits the freedom Minecraft requires.

While Persson says that Mojang is talking to Valve to work something out, he also notes a "certain inherent incompatibility" between what his company wants to do with the game and what Valve expects from them on Steam. Persson's blog post can be found here, or you can simply read it below:

At PAX, I got asked why we’re not on Steam with Minecraft, and I had to answer the question straight out for the first time. So I’ll repeat what I said on here, because openness is awesome.

Steam is the best digital distribution platform I’ve ever seen. I’ve spent incredible amounts of money on it, and I own a crazy amount of games on it. It runs great, offers great services like that shift+tab stuff, and it remembers my credit card details so there’s no barrier for me when I want to buy a game. The only downside I can think of is that offline mode is a bit flimsy, and that the game list is sometimes full off DLC releases for stuff I don’t even own, and those are some tiny complaints!

But..

Being on Steam limits a lot of what we’re allowed to do with the game, and how we’re allowed to talk to our users. We (probably?) wouldn’t be able to, say, sell capes or have a map market place on minecraft.net that works with steam customers in a way that keeps Valve happy. It would effectively split the Minecraft community into two parts, where only some of the players can access all of the weird content we want to add to the game.

We are talking to Valve about this, but I definitely understand their reasons for wanting to control their platform. There’s a certain inherent incompatibility between what we want to do and what they want to do.

So there’s no big argument, we just don’t want to limit what we can do with Minecraft. Also, Steam is awesome. Much more awesome than certain other digital distribution platforms that we would NOT want to release Minecraft on.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: Why You Probably Won't See Minecraft on Steam

No doubt they'll get something worked out.

Re: Why You Probably Won't See Minecraft on Steam

...

Did they just take a shot at Origin? :D

Re: Why You Probably Won't See Minecraft on Steam

No, I think he was specifically trying to avoid the stupid and childish, "I'll never buy ANYTHING that isn't on Steam," regurgitations that all recent EA or Origin articles around the net have had to endure. Gamers be knee-jerk, yo.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm