Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

September 1, 2011 -

An interesting story on Bitmob contends that we could see the PlayStation 4 (or whatever Sony plans on calling it) in about 18 months. Citing an anonymous source, who claims to be privy to information from a recent "high-level meeting" at Sony, Bitmob is reporting that the PlayStation 4 will be released in 18 months. Sony gave the usual stock response to the story: "We don't comment on rumors or speculation."

If the story is true, it means that Sony is tossing that ten year plan right out the window; you know, the ten year life cycle that the PS2 enjoyed and the PlayStation 3 was supposed to have..

Bitmob seems to have confidence in its source, which it describes as someone who isn't "a neophyte, an outsider, a gossip, a fake, or a show off."

For now it's a rumor but an interesting one in the wake of surviving one of the worst security breaches in this decade and a price cut that is helping the system sell a bit better.

Source: Bitmob

Comments

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

I am actually rather curious what the PS4 will 'be'.  Both PS2 and PS3 were built around a new disk format that other divisions wanted to push and thus set the design requirements.

Part of me is just hoping that the first batch has hardware level backward compatiblity ^_^

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

That was interesting. I'll buy it soon. :)

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

I'll buy into it being formally announced in 18 months. But I am sure we won't see it on store shelves within that timeframe.

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

How is it tossing the 10 year cycle out?  The PS3 launched less than 10 years after the PS2, but the PS2 finished up its 10 years alongside the PS3.  No reason why the same thing can't happen with PS3 and 4.  I love to rip on Sony and all, but this comment just made no sense.

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

I remember when consoletards were talking about the X-Box Next/X-Box 2, years ago.

Yeah, new consoles are coming, but I'm not taking stock on a rumor that tells me WHEN without actual proof.

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

Well, Sony's not commenting on it, which means it's irrefutable proof that this rumor is 100% factual. Remember when they weren't commenting on the "rumors and speculation" about the PS3 slim? Or the PSP Go? Or even the PS Vita?

Note: This comment was purely satirical, but it is interesting to note how every "rumor" that Sony denies ends up being completely true.

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

Yeah, I don't buy it.

Poll

Poll: Is it censorship when a private retailer decides not to sell a particular video game?:

IvresseTotalbiscuit just posted a wtf is... vid of Hatred. Pretty much expected: a mediocre shooter at best that will probaby bore gamers rather than turn them into mass-murdering psychos http://bit.ly/1KCwNE205/29/2015 - 10:15am
Wonderkarpor hell, even take the general concept and try to replicate it with new hallways and floors and make a full game out of it. I'd pay just to keep the original spooky hallway alone05/29/2015 - 9:35am
WonderkarpIf they were smart, they would just change the ending "Silent Hills" Teaser and keep the game out on PS4 as a Peace Offering. It stands on its own.05/29/2015 - 9:34am
MechaCrashNo mention of shoving PT into the memory hole, I see.05/29/2015 - 8:38am
WonderkarpSorry for caps. copy pasted the title05/29/2015 - 8:36am
Wonderkarphttp://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/silent-hills-publisher-konami-issues-apology-explains-mobile-first-future KONAMI ISSUES APOLOGY, EXPLAINS ‘MOBILE FIRST’ FUTURE05/29/2015 - 8:36am
PHX Corphttp://www.gamespot.com/articles/need-for-speed-will-require-an-online-connection/1100-6427672/ Need For Speed Will Require An Online Connection05/29/2015 - 7:54am
Wonderkarpjust be happy and encourage it.05/29/2015 - 7:37am
DocMelonheadSorry about that, but I'm surprise at what IP participate in this discussion.05/29/2015 - 7:25am
E. Zachary KnightIron, I did not Google Search because I figured the ESRB would publish such infor on their site, which is where I looked. http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.jsp05/29/2015 - 7:22am
WonderkarpDocMelonHead, don't look a gift horse in the mouth05/29/2015 - 7:21am
E. Zachary KnightDoc, Uncalled for. Please keep things civil.05/29/2015 - 7:21am
MattsworknameThey were discussing the appeals process for Esrb ratings Doc.05/29/2015 - 7:21am
DocMelonheadDid IP post something that isn't related to White Supremecy?05/29/2015 - 7:13am
IronPatriotBut hey, you're welcome.05/29/2015 - 5:23am
Andrew EisenEZK did say he didn't find any info on the appeals process. And if all he did was look at the ratings process part of the ESRB's website, he wouldn't have. That's where I would have looked too. But hey, thanks for being thorough and finding the info.05/29/2015 - 5:01am
Andrew EisenDude, again. I am NOT saying there is no appeals process. THERE OBVIOUSLY IS. All I am saying is that the appeals process is not described in the ratings process part of the ESRB's website.05/29/2015 - 4:59am
IronPatriotI googled appeal esrb.org and it is the first and third hits. Second is esrb talking about appeals for web publishers. Gamefaqs is fourth.05/29/2015 - 4:01am
IronPatriotZachary said he did not find any information about a formal appeals process. I did a simple search and found two places on the esrb site with the info. Just sayin.05/29/2015 - 3:57am
IronPatriotOn Google I get "1 Written Testimony of Patricia E. Vance President ... - ESRB" http://www.esrb.org/about/news/downloads/pvtestimony_6_14_06.pdf05/29/2015 - 3:55am