Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

September 1, 2011 -

An interesting story on Bitmob contends that we could see the PlayStation 4 (or whatever Sony plans on calling it) in about 18 months. Citing an anonymous source, who claims to be privy to information from a recent "high-level meeting" at Sony, Bitmob is reporting that the PlayStation 4 will be released in 18 months. Sony gave the usual stock response to the story: "We don't comment on rumors or speculation."

If the story is true, it means that Sony is tossing that ten year plan right out the window; you know, the ten year life cycle that the PS2 enjoyed and the PlayStation 3 was supposed to have..

Bitmob seems to have confidence in its source, which it describes as someone who isn't "a neophyte, an outsider, a gossip, a fake, or a show off."

For now it's a rumor but an interesting one in the wake of surviving one of the worst security breaches in this decade and a price cut that is helping the system sell a bit better.

Source: Bitmob

Comments

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

I am actually rather curious what the PS4 will 'be'.  Both PS2 and PS3 were built around a new disk format that other divisions wanted to push and thus set the design requirements.

Part of me is just hoping that the first batch has hardware level backward compatiblity ^_^

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

That was interesting. I'll buy it soon. :)

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

I'll buy into it being formally announced in 18 months. But I am sure we won't see it on store shelves within that timeframe.

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

How is it tossing the 10 year cycle out?  The PS3 launched less than 10 years after the PS2, but the PS2 finished up its 10 years alongside the PS3.  No reason why the same thing can't happen with PS3 and 4.  I love to rip on Sony and all, but this comment just made no sense.

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

I remember when consoletards were talking about the X-Box Next/X-Box 2, years ago.

Yeah, new consoles are coming, but I'm not taking stock on a rumor that tells me WHEN without actual proof.

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

Well, Sony's not commenting on it, which means it's irrefutable proof that this rumor is 100% factual. Remember when they weren't commenting on the "rumors and speculation" about the PS3 slim? Or the PSP Go? Or even the PS Vita?

Note: This comment was purely satirical, but it is interesting to note how every "rumor" that Sony denies ends up being completely true.

Re: Rumor: PS4 in 18 Months

Yeah, I don't buy it.

ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm