Black Rock Studio Officially Closes Today

September 2, 2011 -

Disney announced earlier this year that, as part of a restructuring plan, it would close several studios - including Black Rock. Today that closure has finally happened, according to a tweet from former studio director Nick Baynes.

"@blackrockster officially closes its doors today," he wrote via Twitter. "Thoughts go out to all facing their last day. A bright future awaits all though I'm sure!"

Black Rock's troubles began in May when rumors about 100 layoffs surfaced in the press. Disney confirmed those rumors as true a month later. At the time the studio was working on a "League of Legends" or "DOTA" style fantasy RTS game.

The good news is that at least two new studios have been formed by former Black Rock employees: ShortRound Games and Roundcube Entertainment, which is led by former studio head Nick Baynes - according to GameIndustry.biz.

Source: GI.biz