Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

September 2, 2011 -

Microsoft claims that over two-thirds of Xbox Live Gold subscriptions purchased are obtained at retail, as opposed to using Xbox Live to renew subscriptions or buy new ones. According to what Microsoft tells MCV, 68 percent of the premium subscriptions for Xbox Live are purchased via retailers.

Robin Burrowes, marketing manager for Xbox Live, also said that Microsoft is "very respectful" of retail, and has no plans to simultaneously release Xbox 360 titles at retail and via digital download at the same time.

"We are very respectful of the retail environment, in that we have a window between the release of a retail game and the digital one," Burrowes told MCV. "There’s no immediate plans to change that. We are continuing to talk to retail in different ways. We are looking to introduce new digital innovations to drive more business. We’ve been testing electronic software distribution in a couple of places."

"We will be testing point-of-sale activation, which is similar to buying cards in store and being able to redeem that code at the point of purchase," Burrowes added."We are introducing new digital tokens and are working very closely with retailers."

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

No auto renewal and Amazon is ALWAYS cheaper than it is to buy direct.

This one is a no brainer.  But, hey maybe it is some secret back door agenda on Microsoft's part to "support the retailers"

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

There are reasons why it's better to go retail.

1. You don't have to worry about somebody else getting your credit card information.

2. People don't have credit cards so they buy them with cash in-store. Mainly this applies to kids and teens.

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

That last part isn't really true. Most of my graduating class don't have credit cards. They simply do not want them because of the problems we have seen them cause.

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

At the risk of being billed on my credit card with no chance of cancelling without an AOL style hassle, I'd renew via retail as well.

----
Papa Midnight

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

I disagree it's worse since Microsoft uses an India Call Center that no one wants to deal with.

Again after calling an canceling since they disabled the feature online and India said it was canceled and I was billed again. I don't ever think I am going to use my credit for their live service again well you know what I take that back I will use the PSN since it's free but not Xbox Live Gold. Seriously it's not a service at all

Also I prefer to buy my games digital when I can and will be holding off purchases for the majority of the games I like because I am living with family and I know how bad it is when family or anyone steals your items

Buying Digital helps me out tons but again I prefer buying on the PSN then on Live for the simple fact I put a large Harddrive for 90 bucks to give me 600 gigs rather then paying over an hundred for a 360 only HDD. It's just too bad the PSN rarely releases a full game on their network.

Poll

Is King right? Should all games adopt the free-to-play model?:

Matthew Wilsonit is a game worth playing if you have a pc/360/ps304/20/2014 - 9:34pm
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/457552538343325696 The Lutece Twins show up in some of the most unlikely of places.04/20/2014 - 2:44pm
Andrew EisenAs it happens, Chinatown Wars is the only GTA game I've played.04/19/2014 - 10:43am
Papa MidnightWith GTA5 (to date) failing to even provide indication of a PC release, I'm realising that this might be the first GTA game that I have not played (outside of Chinatown Wars) since the series inception.04/19/2014 - 8:14am
IanCSo im guessing a bunch of edutainment games, which a lot of people elsewhere are going gaga over, dot count as classics? Okay. If you don't mind me, i have a sudden urge to play Putt Putt....04/19/2014 - 6:15am
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/18/playstation-99-cent-sale-discounts-tokyo-jungle-super-stardust/ Weekend long PSN flash sale. So much stuff is 99 cents for the rest of the weekend.04/18/2014 - 5:59pm
Adam802http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5627928/newtown-video-game-addiction-forum04/18/2014 - 4:14pm
Matthew Wilsonit is a video talking about why certain games/products/consoles do well, and others do not. he back it up with solid research.04/18/2014 - 3:56pm
Andrew EisenI'm not keen on blind links. What is it?04/18/2014 - 3:45pm
Matthew Wilsonthis is worth a whatch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXcr6sDRtw&list=PL35FE5C4B157509C904/18/2014 - 3:43pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 3: Night Dive was brought to the attention of the public by a massive game recovery, and yet most of their released catalogue consists of games that other people did the hard work of getting re-released.04/17/2014 - 8:46pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 2: If Humongous Entertainment wanted their stuff on Steam, why didn't they talk to their parent company, which does have a number of games published on Steam?04/17/2014 - 8:45pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 1: When Night Dive spent the better part of a year teasing the return of true classics, having their big content dump be edutainment is kind of a kick in the stomach.04/17/2014 - 8:44pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.giantbomb.com/articles/jeff-gerstmann-heads-to-new-york-takes-questions/1100-4900/ He talks about the future games press and the games industry. It is worth your time even though it is a bit long, and stay for the QA. There are some good QA04/17/2014 - 5:28pm
IanCErm so they shouldn't sell edutainment at all? Why?04/17/2014 - 4:42pm
MaskedPixelanteNot that linkable, go onto Steam and there's stuff like Pajama Sam on the front-page, courtesy of Night Dive.04/17/2014 - 4:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, again, please, please, PLEASE get in a habit of linking to whatever you're talking about.04/17/2014 - 4:05pm
MaskedPixelanteAnother round of Night Dive teasing and promising turns out to be stupid edutainment games. Thanks for wasting all our time, guys. See you never.04/17/2014 - 3:44pm
Matthew WilsonAgain the consequences were not only foreseeable, but very likely. anyone who understood supply demand curvs knew that was going to happen. SF has been a econ/trade hub for the last hundred years.04/17/2014 - 2:45pm
Andrew EisenMixedPixelante - Would you like to expand on that?04/17/2014 - 2:43pm