Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

September 2, 2011 -

Microsoft claims that over two-thirds of Xbox Live Gold subscriptions purchased are obtained at retail, as opposed to using Xbox Live to renew subscriptions or buy new ones. According to what Microsoft tells MCV, 68 percent of the premium subscriptions for Xbox Live are purchased via retailers.

Robin Burrowes, marketing manager for Xbox Live, also said that Microsoft is "very respectful" of retail, and has no plans to simultaneously release Xbox 360 titles at retail and via digital download at the same time.

"We are very respectful of the retail environment, in that we have a window between the release of a retail game and the digital one," Burrowes told MCV. "There’s no immediate plans to change that. We are continuing to talk to retail in different ways. We are looking to introduce new digital innovations to drive more business. We’ve been testing electronic software distribution in a couple of places."

"We will be testing point-of-sale activation, which is similar to buying cards in store and being able to redeem that code at the point of purchase," Burrowes added."We are introducing new digital tokens and are working very closely with retailers."

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

No auto renewal and Amazon is ALWAYS cheaper than it is to buy direct.

This one is a no brainer.  But, hey maybe it is some secret back door agenda on Microsoft's part to "support the retailers"

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

There are reasons why it's better to go retail.

1. You don't have to worry about somebody else getting your credit card information.

2. People don't have credit cards so they buy them with cash in-store. Mainly this applies to kids and teens.

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

That last part isn't really true. Most of my graduating class don't have credit cards. They simply do not want them because of the problems we have seen them cause.

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

At the risk of being billed on my credit card with no chance of cancelling without an AOL style hassle, I'd renew via retail as well.

----
Papa Midnight

Re: Microsoft: 68 Percent of Live Subscriptions Sold at Retail

I disagree it's worse since Microsoft uses an India Call Center that no one wants to deal with.

Again after calling an canceling since they disabled the feature online and India said it was canceled and I was billed again. I don't ever think I am going to use my credit for their live service again well you know what I take that back I will use the PSN since it's free but not Xbox Live Gold. Seriously it's not a service at all

Also I prefer to buy my games digital when I can and will be holding off purchases for the majority of the games I like because I am living with family and I know how bad it is when family or anyone steals your items

Buying Digital helps me out tons but again I prefer buying on the PSN then on Live for the simple fact I put a large Harddrive for 90 bucks to give me 600 gigs rather then paying over an hundred for a 360 only HDD. It's just too bad the PSN rarely releases a full game on their network.

PHX Corphttp://www.polygon.com/2015/7/27/9050375/street-fighter-5-beta-offline-delayed Street Fighter 5 beta taken offline, now postponed indefinitely07/27/2015 - 9:51pm
Goth_Skunk@eZeek: Noooooooooo.... ;)07/27/2015 - 8:44pm
MechaTama31Re: Google+, wow. I never in a million years thought they would backpedal on that. I just resigned myself to not using commenting functions on any of their services.07/27/2015 - 6:21pm
E. Zachary KnightGoth, are you saying all women are fat. ;)07/27/2015 - 5:38pm
benohawkMake it more adorable and more gender neutral! Widescreen Dog and 16:9 their 16 kitten sidekicks07/27/2015 - 5:15pm
Goth_SkunkOr, if you prefer, Widescreen Woman.07/27/2015 - 4:12pm
Goth_SkunkWho will save us from this abominable practice?! Introducing WIDESCREEN MAN and his sidekick 16:9!07/27/2015 - 4:10pm
Andrew EisenInteresting coincidence. I tweeted about the evils of vertically oriented video just last night. https://twitter.com/AndrewEisen/status/62549836960397312007/27/2015 - 4:01pm
PHX Corphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_I9-CkzDE The Great Atari Ransack (The Jimquisition) Warning Vertical video syndrome in one scene07/27/2015 - 3:40pm
MattsworknameBout time google07/27/2015 - 3:33pm
james_fudgeugh. TG man :)07/27/2015 - 1:15pm
MechaCrashGoogle drops Google+ requirements for YouTube and other services: http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/27/google-is-dropping-its-google-requirement-across-all-products-starting-with-youtube/07/27/2015 - 12:55pm
benohawkThat still isn't Steam pay royalties. At best it is Bethesda not being willing to relicense the music,07/27/2015 - 12:51pm
Infophile(cont'd) different service. This often happened with TV shows, where music was only licensed for broadcast, but not for DVD release. So for many older shows, they either have to relicense it or use different/no music for the DVD release.07/27/2015 - 12:36pm
Infophile@benohawk: It most likely comes down to the original licensing agreement for the music in it. Often those agreements only license it for the medium it first releases in, so it has to be re-licensed if it's rereleased in a different form or through a ...07/27/2015 - 12:35pm
benohawkWhy would steam be paying royalties on anything in quake?07/27/2015 - 12:01pm
black mantaI recommend using the KMQuake II patch which supports .ogg music files, then downloading the music from someplace, then dropping it in to a music folder into the \baseq2 directory.07/27/2015 - 10:32am
black mantaI got Quake 2 during the Steam Quakecon sale. Funny thing is, there's no music for it! Guess Steam didn't want to pay the royalty fees or something.07/27/2015 - 10:30am
black mantaLike EZK, I also have a backlog of games. Right now I'm playing Crysis 3 for the first time, and replaying Quake 2.07/27/2015 - 10:29am
E. Zachary KnightZippy, No. It is because I have a backlog of games a mile long and have not bought to many new games, which includes Mass Effect.07/27/2015 - 9:28am