GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

September 6, 2011 -

Have a crappy iPhone lying about? Well apparently you can resell it to GameStop. The world’s largest video game retailer will start buying Apple's iOS devices from customers, according to a report from 9to5Macs. According to a screen grab from the site, GameStop is saying that it buys iOS devices for store credit:

"Did you know that GameStop now buys your old iPod, iPhone and iPad devices? Trade them in at GameStop for in-store credit. Perfect for trading toward games, accessories, systems and more. Bring in your old iPod or iPad and a Game Advisor can assist you. Plus, you'll score PowerUp Rewards points on every item traded."

GameStop quietly unveiled the new trade-in program last week at a trade show in Las Vegas. While some local stores have confirmed that they do indeed accept iOS devices as trade-ins, some stores are not currently "in the program," probably meaning that GameStop is dipping its toes into the waters.

What we do not know is what devices they'll ultimately accept and what the company plans to do with them when they have bought them. Will they resell them to another company or directly to consumers? Stay tuned.

Source: Time's Techland

Posted in

Comments

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

In other news there has been a mysterious spike in smartphone theft.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

I worked for EB Games when they first started taking cash for trades, and for the first few weeks the store manager and I answered the phone "Thank you for calling EB Pawn, how can I help you?".

It's amazing how many people thought that we couldn't tell what was stolen.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

They'll resell them to customers, of course. Buying an iPad for $20 and reselling it for $100, all the while putting a 30-day guarantee on it? There's gold in them thar iHills.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

I wouldn't doubt it look on Ebay how much IPhones are selling for. Apple might as well unlock all carrier phones at this point. I would love to buy a new IPhone 4 to hold me over till five.

No way I am going to pay full price on a defective phone I'll stick to my 3GS

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

Think they do any reselling?

- W

Consumer responsibility is just as important as Corporate responsibility. So, be responsible consumers.

WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am