GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

September 6, 2011 -

Have a crappy iPhone lying about? Well apparently you can resell it to GameStop. The world’s largest video game retailer will start buying Apple's iOS devices from customers, according to a report from 9to5Macs. According to a screen grab from the site, GameStop is saying that it buys iOS devices for store credit:

"Did you know that GameStop now buys your old iPod, iPhone and iPad devices? Trade them in at GameStop for in-store credit. Perfect for trading toward games, accessories, systems and more. Bring in your old iPod or iPad and a Game Advisor can assist you. Plus, you'll score PowerUp Rewards points on every item traded."

GameStop quietly unveiled the new trade-in program last week at a trade show in Las Vegas. While some local stores have confirmed that they do indeed accept iOS devices as trade-ins, some stores are not currently "in the program," probably meaning that GameStop is dipping its toes into the waters.

What we do not know is what devices they'll ultimately accept and what the company plans to do with them when they have bought them. Will they resell them to another company or directly to consumers? Stay tuned.

Source: Time's Techland

Posted in

Comments

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

In other news there has been a mysterious spike in smartphone theft.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

I worked for EB Games when they first started taking cash for trades, and for the first few weeks the store manager and I answered the phone "Thank you for calling EB Pawn, how can I help you?".

It's amazing how many people thought that we couldn't tell what was stolen.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

They'll resell them to customers, of course. Buying an iPad for $20 and reselling it for $100, all the while putting a 30-day guarantee on it? There's gold in them thar iHills.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

I wouldn't doubt it look on Ebay how much IPhones are selling for. Apple might as well unlock all carrier phones at this point. I would love to buy a new IPhone 4 to hold me over till five.

No way I am going to pay full price on a defective phone I'll stick to my 3GS

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

Think they do any reselling?

- W

Consumer responsibility is just as important as Corporate responsibility. So, be responsible consumers.

james_fudgeI'll be watching the Facebook page09/01/2015 - 10:14am
james_fudgethe site maybe up right now, but we're not updating until we're at the new location.09/01/2015 - 10:13am
james_fudgehttps://www.facebook.com/gamepolitics09/01/2015 - 10:12am
Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm