WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

September 8, 2011 -

Another interesting editorias about Tea Party Zombies Must Die - this time in the Washington Post. What's interesting about this opinion piece is that the author, Alexandra Petri, is a recovering (I think) comedian and part-time pundit who can see both sides to some degree but shrugs off the manufactured outrage as.. well, manufactured:

"I tried to get indignant about the game. I really did. This morning, I sat and furrowed my brow and thought dark thoughts for a good half-hour.

But I couldn’t do it. The only time I get indignant about video game violence is if I hear that someone has used a video game cartridge to physically injure a real person. Up until that point, you can do whatever you want to whatever animated hookers you’d prefer. As the Supreme Court noted, this is what the Founders would have wished. Jefferson was notorious for his affinity for Grand Theft Carriage.

Talking about video games reminds me of an Oscar Wilde quip about the weather — “Don’t talk to me about the weather,” one of his characters says. “Whenever people talk to me about the weather I always feel quite certain that they mean something else.”

That’s how it tends to be with video game indignation. The sets of People Who Get Upset About Violent Video Games and People Who Have Played Video Games Even Once Or Twice With Any Enjoyment Whatsoever tend not to overlap at all. The game is a proxy. Too much violence amongst youth? There must be a game we can blame! This isn’t free speech! Free speech doesn’t include zombies!"

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - even if that imitation is dead and is surrounded by a message that you are diametrically opposed to. No worries - there's no such thing as bad PR.

Source: Washington Post

Comments

Re: WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

Heh, different reaction from when there was an Obama game and article

Re: WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

The difference being this article (at the time of your posting) had no comments in it.  Likely explained by the fact that there are two other (comment-filled) articles about this game posted in the last day.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

EA has shuttered Maxis (The Sims, SimCity). Should it keep the Maxis name alive?:

MechaCrashIt can be made extraneous, depending on how you format the URL. For example: http://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ03/05/2015 - 6:28am
Andrew EisenMechaTama - I was referring specifically to the link below my post. I should have been more clear. My bad.03/05/2015 - 2:42am
james_fudgefair point, let's say "excluding YouTube videos"03/05/2015 - 2:25am
MechaTama31The stuff after the ? is not *always* extraneous.03/04/2015 - 11:57pm
MechaTama31AE: But that would make your link https://www.youtube.com/watch , which wouldn't work so well... ;)03/04/2015 - 11:56pm
E. Zachary KnightFor those curious, that timeline came from Destructoid: http://www.destructoid.com/tomm-hulett-s-unified-mario-timeline-theory-288472.phtml03/04/2015 - 8:11pm
WymorenceJeez, who'd have thought Yoshi doing a good deed was the reason for everything in Mushroom Kingdom being so screwed up...?03/04/2015 - 7:49pm
prh99The most popular games on Steam for 2014 http://bit.ly/1zLE0r403/04/2015 - 7:47pm
Papa MidnightWow, EZK. Oh my goodness, that timeline is huge.03/04/2015 - 6:59pm
E. Zachary KnightIt's the Super Mario timeline. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/386496/smbTimeline_huge.png03/04/2015 - 6:49pm
prh99There are the various URL shortening services.03/04/2015 - 6:45pm
WymorenceIronic that they're releasing a game about cops and robbers in essence while they don the "extortionist" mask...03/04/2015 - 6:38pm
james_fudgeI'm not a miracle worker :)03/04/2015 - 6:09pm
Craig R.That link is still awful due to the fact that the entire article title is part of the URL :P03/04/2015 - 6:00pm
MonteI'm really waiting to see more publishers get serious backlash for those horrible DLC practices03/04/2015 - 5:48pm
MonteBattlefield with prioty servers for those that pay... sounds like EA wasn't a big supporter of Net Neautrality03/04/2015 - 5:47pm
PHX Corp@james_fudge thanks03/04/2015 - 5:28pm
james_fudgePHX Corp. I shortened your link for you03/04/2015 - 5:18pm
Andrew EisenAgain, folks, please oh pretty please remove all that extraneous crap from the ass end of any links you wish to share. Everything from the "?" and on can be removed.03/04/2015 - 4:31pm
PHX Corphttp://www.destructoid.com/prepare-to-pay-full-price-twice-to-unlock-all-of-battlefield-hardline-s-exclusive-features-288492.phtml Prepare to pay full price twice to unlock all of Battlefield Hardline's exclusive features03/04/2015 - 4:26pm