From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

September 9, 2011 -

While some within the Ubisoft studio structure may think that DRM is a grand idea, Ubisoft seems to have relented once again - this time patching out the protection on From Dust. The company apologized for the "always-on" DRM being in the game last month because when they announced the Pc version the company said it would have an "activate once" style of protection. Obviously that didn't happen and fans were ticked off about it. The company said when it apologized that the DRM being put in the game was simply a "misunderstanding."

Misunderstanding or not, a new patch on Steam removes the DRM completely. From the Steam Patch Notes:

"- Title can be played in offline mode (no connection to the Internet is required after installing the patch)

- Save file is moved from the Uplay/Ubisoft server to the local machine"

Source: C&VG

Posted in

Comments

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

A little late but at least they are honoring the promise they made to begin with. Anyway, Ubisoft seems to be the heaviest handed with the DRM right now and I really don't know if it is helping them at all. Lets say you cut piracy by 50% (which I doubt), if your sales go down 10% in the process did you come out ahead?

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

This was relevant to me at some point in time long ago. Now I just avoid buying Ubisoft titles until I start seeing the DRM removal posts in the gaming news sites. Once I know the DRM has been removed only then will I consider buying it.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

I still don't trust 'em.

----
Papa Midnight

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Isn't Steam good enough when it comes to DRM?  I don't understand why publishers insist on putting an additional layer of unnecessary DRM when using Steam.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

My guess is that they're panicky and stupid, and do kneejerk things with a great deal of wailing and wringing of hands, and at no point do they stop and say "hey, seeing as how this pisses off customers, do we actually get anything for it?" (The answer is "hell no," by the way: From Dust was cracked on day one, I hear.)

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Do you still need to validate the thing with Ubisoft at all, ever?

Poll

Did Microsoft pay too much ($2.5 billion) for Minecraft developer Mojang?:

james_fudgeI'm a huge Dark Souls fan :)09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
james_fudgeThe first part of Dark Souls is pretty easy.09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
Neeneko@AE - it is still better then Return of Kings. I wonder if they know each other...09/16/2014 - 1:05pm
Neeneko@IanC - well, considering their entire goal is disseminating information, it kinda makes sense.09/16/2014 - 1:04pm
Andrew EisenThat depends on how much longer before YOU start getting good!09/16/2014 - 12:31pm
MaskedPixelanteSo, I've been stuck in the opening section of Dark Souls for about two years now... how much longer before it starts getting good?09/16/2014 - 12:29pm
Michael ChandraI was wondering the same thing while reading it.09/16/2014 - 11:44am
james_fudgeSadly, no.09/16/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenThat's a satire site, like the Onion, right? Please? Please tell me that's a satire site?09/16/2014 - 11:10am
james_fudgehis readers are.09/16/2014 - 10:36am
IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am
james_fudgeme either.09/16/2014 - 8:54am
E. Zachary KnightI understand what Wikileaks twitter was getting at, but I have no clue what that article was getting at.09/16/2014 - 8:45am