From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

September 9, 2011 -

While some within the Ubisoft studio structure may think that DRM is a grand idea, Ubisoft seems to have relented once again - this time patching out the protection on From Dust. The company apologized for the "always-on" DRM being in the game last month because when they announced the Pc version the company said it would have an "activate once" style of protection. Obviously that didn't happen and fans were ticked off about it. The company said when it apologized that the DRM being put in the game was simply a "misunderstanding."

Misunderstanding or not, a new patch on Steam removes the DRM completely. From the Steam Patch Notes:

"- Title can be played in offline mode (no connection to the Internet is required after installing the patch)

- Save file is moved from the Uplay/Ubisoft server to the local machine"

Source: C&VG

Posted in

Comments

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

A little late but at least they are honoring the promise they made to begin with. Anyway, Ubisoft seems to be the heaviest handed with the DRM right now and I really don't know if it is helping them at all. Lets say you cut piracy by 50% (which I doubt), if your sales go down 10% in the process did you come out ahead?

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

This was relevant to me at some point in time long ago. Now I just avoid buying Ubisoft titles until I start seeing the DRM removal posts in the gaming news sites. Once I know the DRM has been removed only then will I consider buying it.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

I still don't trust 'em.

----
Papa Midnight

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Isn't Steam good enough when it comes to DRM?  I don't understand why publishers insist on putting an additional layer of unnecessary DRM when using Steam.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

My guess is that they're panicky and stupid, and do kneejerk things with a great deal of wailing and wringing of hands, and at no point do they stop and say "hey, seeing as how this pisses off customers, do we actually get anything for it?" (The answer is "hell no," by the way: From Dust was cracked on day one, I hear.)

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Do you still need to validate the thing with Ubisoft at all, ever?

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenYou mean focus on stopping the bad behavior of those who are doing it rather than condemning all the people that associate with them? Great. But I still don't know who Emma Clarkson is, what she said, why she was attacked or what "standard line" she's04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Matthew WilsonI think people are coming around to the idea that divide and conqueror might be a more effective method than scorched earth. scorched earth has been tried for 8 months with almost no progress, so its time try something new.04/24/2015 - 3:20pm
Andrew EisenCan you elaborate? I don't know who that is.04/24/2015 - 3:17pm
Matthew Wilsonas I understand just general difference of opinion. for example I have seen Emma Clarkson get attacked becouse she chooses to engage and debate, instead of just fallow the standard line.04/24/2015 - 3:13pm
Andrew Eisen'Cause if it's the latter, that kind of stuff should be shamed.04/24/2015 - 2:47pm
Andrew EisenAnd shaming women for being women or having an opinion or shaming specific women for exhibiting particularly repugnant attitudes or behaviors?04/24/2015 - 2:47pm