From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

September 9, 2011 -

While some within the Ubisoft studio structure may think that DRM is a grand idea, Ubisoft seems to have relented once again - this time patching out the protection on From Dust. The company apologized for the "always-on" DRM being in the game last month because when they announced the Pc version the company said it would have an "activate once" style of protection. Obviously that didn't happen and fans were ticked off about it. The company said when it apologized that the DRM being put in the game was simply a "misunderstanding."

Misunderstanding or not, a new patch on Steam removes the DRM completely. From the Steam Patch Notes:

"- Title can be played in offline mode (no connection to the Internet is required after installing the patch)

- Save file is moved from the Uplay/Ubisoft server to the local machine"

Source: C&VG

Posted in

Comments

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

A little late but at least they are honoring the promise they made to begin with. Anyway, Ubisoft seems to be the heaviest handed with the DRM right now and I really don't know if it is helping them at all. Lets say you cut piracy by 50% (which I doubt), if your sales go down 10% in the process did you come out ahead?

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

This was relevant to me at some point in time long ago. Now I just avoid buying Ubisoft titles until I start seeing the DRM removal posts in the gaming news sites. Once I know the DRM has been removed only then will I consider buying it.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

I still don't trust 'em.

----
Papa Midnight

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Isn't Steam good enough when it comes to DRM?  I don't understand why publishers insist on putting an additional layer of unnecessary DRM when using Steam.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

My guess is that they're panicky and stupid, and do kneejerk things with a great deal of wailing and wringing of hands, and at no point do they stop and say "hey, seeing as how this pisses off customers, do we actually get anything for it?" (The answer is "hell no," by the way: From Dust was cracked on day one, I hear.)

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Do you still need to validate the thing with Ubisoft at all, ever?

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

james_fudgeThere aren't many left in America08/21/2014 - 1:50am
MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am