From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

September 9, 2011 -

While some within the Ubisoft studio structure may think that DRM is a grand idea, Ubisoft seems to have relented once again - this time patching out the protection on From Dust. The company apologized for the "always-on" DRM being in the game last month because when they announced the Pc version the company said it would have an "activate once" style of protection. Obviously that didn't happen and fans were ticked off about it. The company said when it apologized that the DRM being put in the game was simply a "misunderstanding."

Misunderstanding or not, a new patch on Steam removes the DRM completely. From the Steam Patch Notes:

"- Title can be played in offline mode (no connection to the Internet is required after installing the patch)

- Save file is moved from the Uplay/Ubisoft server to the local machine"

Source: C&VG

Posted in

Comments

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

A little late but at least they are honoring the promise they made to begin with. Anyway, Ubisoft seems to be the heaviest handed with the DRM right now and I really don't know if it is helping them at all. Lets say you cut piracy by 50% (which I doubt), if your sales go down 10% in the process did you come out ahead?

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

This was relevant to me at some point in time long ago. Now I just avoid buying Ubisoft titles until I start seeing the DRM removal posts in the gaming news sites. Once I know the DRM has been removed only then will I consider buying it.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

I still don't trust 'em.

----
Papa Midnight

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Isn't Steam good enough when it comes to DRM?  I don't understand why publishers insist on putting an additional layer of unnecessary DRM when using Steam.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

My guess is that they're panicky and stupid, and do kneejerk things with a great deal of wailing and wringing of hands, and at no point do they stop and say "hey, seeing as how this pisses off customers, do we actually get anything for it?" (The answer is "hell no," by the way: From Dust was cracked on day one, I hear.)

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Do you still need to validate the thing with Ubisoft at all, ever?

Poll

EA has shuttered Maxis (The Sims, SimCity). Should it keep the Maxis name alive?:

Andrew EisenMechaTama - I was referring specifically to the link below my post. I should have been more clear. My bad.03/05/2015 - 2:42am
james_fudgefair point, let's say "excluding YouTube videos"03/05/2015 - 2:25am
MechaTama31The stuff after the ? is not *always* extraneous.03/04/2015 - 11:57pm
MechaTama31AE: But that would make your link https://www.youtube.com/watch , which wouldn't work so well... ;)03/04/2015 - 11:56pm
E. Zachary KnightFor those curious, that timeline came from Destructoid: http://www.destructoid.com/tomm-hulett-s-unified-mario-timeline-theory-288472.phtml03/04/2015 - 8:11pm
WymorenceJeez, who'd have thought Yoshi doing a good deed was the reason for everything in Mushroom Kingdom being so screwed up...?03/04/2015 - 7:49pm
prh99The most popular games on Steam for 2014 http://bit.ly/1zLE0r403/04/2015 - 7:47pm
Papa MidnightWow, EZK. Oh my goodness, that timeline is huge.03/04/2015 - 6:59pm
E. Zachary KnightIt's the Super Mario timeline. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/386496/smbTimeline_huge.png03/04/2015 - 6:49pm
prh99There are the various URL shortening services.03/04/2015 - 6:45pm
WymorenceIronic that they're releasing a game about cops and robbers in essence while they don the "extortionist" mask...03/04/2015 - 6:38pm
james_fudgeI'm not a miracle worker :)03/04/2015 - 6:09pm
Craig R.That link is still awful due to the fact that the entire article title is part of the URL :P03/04/2015 - 6:00pm
MonteI'm really waiting to see more publishers get serious backlash for those horrible DLC practices03/04/2015 - 5:48pm
MonteBattlefield with prioty servers for those that pay... sounds like EA wasn't a big supporter of Net Neautrality03/04/2015 - 5:47pm
PHX Corp@james_fudge thanks03/04/2015 - 5:28pm
james_fudgePHX Corp. I shortened your link for you03/04/2015 - 5:18pm
Andrew EisenAgain, folks, please oh pretty please remove all that extraneous crap from the ass end of any links you wish to share. Everything from the "?" and on can be removed.03/04/2015 - 4:31pm
PHX Corphttp://www.destructoid.com/prepare-to-pay-full-price-twice-to-unlock-all-of-battlefield-hardline-s-exclusive-features-288492.phtml Prepare to pay full price twice to unlock all of Battlefield Hardline's exclusive features03/04/2015 - 4:26pm
Andrew EisenNew Age of Ultron trailer but someone hit the Image Stabilizer button and the damn thing jumps around so much I refuse to watch it until it's fixed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUoeqvedMo03/04/2015 - 4:10pm