Report: Older Players Spend More in Freemium Games

September 9, 2011 -

Players over the age of 25 generate around 79 percent of revenue in "freemium" games, according to new research from mobile analytics firm Flurry, but younger players tend to play those games longer. Players under 24 or younger spend 54 percent of the time spent in these games, but only make 21 percent of the overall in-app purchase revenue. The 25-34 year old player group made up 29 percent of game time, and brought in 49 percent of overall revenues. Customers 35-54 years old account for 28 percent of the revenue made in freemium games.

Flurry comes to the conclusion that younger players have more time, but a less disposable income, while older players have less time but more money to spend. Flurry's data comes from a pool of 20 million users across all of the freemium games it is involved in.

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: Report: Older Players Spend More in Freemium Games

As an "older" gamer (almost 44 years old), my perception is that while we have more "disposable" cash, we save it for games with more sustenance.  Which is why we choose freemium games.  We pay for the parts we are most interested in, rather than just blindly throwing our money into a general game with both good and bad parts.  We buy the good and leave the bad alone.  And part of that decision is BECAUSE of our age and long experience.

But, again, that's just why -I- prefer freemium when it's available.  I doubt I'm entirely alone though.

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Re: Report: Older Players Spend More in Freemium Games

Whoa!  Really?

You mean gamers with more disposable income spend more money and gamers with more free time spend more time playing?

Holy Belgian waffles with strawberry compote on top!

Andrew Eisen

Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm