Report: Older Players Spend More in Freemium Games

September 9, 2011 -

Players over the age of 25 generate around 79 percent of revenue in "freemium" games, according to new research from mobile analytics firm Flurry, but younger players tend to play those games longer. Players under 24 or younger spend 54 percent of the time spent in these games, but only make 21 percent of the overall in-app purchase revenue. The 25-34 year old player group made up 29 percent of game time, and brought in 49 percent of overall revenues. Customers 35-54 years old account for 28 percent of the revenue made in freemium games.

Flurry comes to the conclusion that younger players have more time, but a less disposable income, while older players have less time but more money to spend. Flurry's data comes from a pool of 20 million users across all of the freemium games it is involved in.

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: Report: Older Players Spend More in Freemium Games

As an "older" gamer (almost 44 years old), my perception is that while we have more "disposable" cash, we save it for games with more sustenance.  Which is why we choose freemium games.  We pay for the parts we are most interested in, rather than just blindly throwing our money into a general game with both good and bad parts.  We buy the good and leave the bad alone.  And part of that decision is BECAUSE of our age and long experience.

But, again, that's just why -I- prefer freemium when it's available.  I doubt I'm entirely alone though.

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Re: Report: Older Players Spend More in Freemium Games

Whoa!  Really?

You mean gamers with more disposable income spend more money and gamers with more free time spend more time playing?

Holy Belgian waffles with strawberry compote on top!

Andrew Eisen

james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am