Call of Duty XP Third Most Popular Televised Event in History

September 14, 2011 -

According to Activision its Call of Duty fan event, Call of Duty XP, was a smashing success and the second most viewed televised event in history. Speaking to IndustryGamers, Activision Publishing's top executive Eric Hirshberg said that they were delighted with how the event turned out and proud of the milestones it earned.

"The response has been pretty overwhelming – it was a terrific success, from both the standpoint of the people who attended in person and also our strategy to make it a connected, digital event for our fans worldwide," Hirshberg told IndustryGamers. "We had some pretty amazing metrics. Livestream, the company that broadcast the event for us, indicated that it's the second most viewed event in history – the first being the Royal Wedding and I think the third was a President Obama speech. So that's a pretty remarkable statistic."

Hirshberg also pointed out that when the event took place it trended globally on Twitter during its first 24 hours. Ultimately they feel that they have met their goal by getting fans to "really engage the game."

While Hirshberg did not have an exact headcount of how many fans attended XP, he put it at somewhere around 8,500 people.

While Hirshberg wouldn't commit to an event next year, it is likely to happen given the positive attention it received from fans..

Source: IndustryGamers

Comments

Re: Call of Duty XP Third Most Popular Televised Event in ...

"Apparently, it went very, very well, as online viewers made it the second most watched event on Livestream in history."

Televised and watched on Livestream are very different things.

Re: Call of Duty XP Third Most Popular Televised Event in ...

I don't even know what this is.  Sounds like bs to me.

Re: Call of Duty XP Third Most Popular Televised Event in ...

I think I'm missing something here. The Royal Wedding and Obama's speech were so popular, that everyone was talking about it. For a week or two, I heard a lot from everyone around me on those topics.

I never heard anyone around me mention this CoD event, not even the diehards.

I am confused >_>  Was it just because of the global numbers? Wouldn't the World Cup have more viewers then?

Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm