Report: UMD Program Planned for PSP Vita Buyers

September 14, 2011 -

Sony is claiming that it may have a solution for PSP UMD game owners as it relates to using them on your spiffy new PlayStation Vita when it is released sometime in March of next year. Sony is considering some kind of special program to offer special download versions of games consumers own on UMD as replacements, according to Destructoid.

During its TGS press event Sony said that there will be around 500-600 titles that will work with the Vita and that "just about all of the current PSP downloadable games on the PlayStation Network." All of these PSP games will reportedly support the dual analog sticks and OLED screen of the system.

Hopefully Sony will follow through with this idea so that UMD users will feel comfortable buying the new PSP; they certainly got a raw deal when Sony didn't bother with its planned "PSPgo rewards" program...

Source: Destructoid

Comments

Re: Report: UMD Program Planned for PSP Vita Buyers

I'm looking forward to the PSP Vita.  The PSP was such a disappointment, but it looks like they got everything right on this one.  So if this program comes through, all the better!  I have a few games on UMD that I did enjoy, even if they are just collecting dust right now.

Re: Report: UMD Program Planned for PSP Vita Buyers

That sounds suspiciously like the program they were planning for the PSPgo that failed to materialize.

Silly me. Commenting before reading the whole article.

Re: Report: UMD Program Planned for PSP Vita Buyers

You initial response was warranted. I have the same concerns still even though the article explicitly states that Sony wont do a PSPgo fiasco all over again. Sony has a while to go before their recent track record can be obfuscated.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm