Singapore Man Waits 29 Hours for Gears of War 3

September 20, 2011 -

How long would you wait for your favorite video game to be released? Four hours? Eight hours? How about 29 hours? That's how long one man waited in Singapore to get his hands on his copy of Gears of War 3 on Monday. Nanyang Polytechnic student William Ten sat at the Funan DigitalLife Mall on Monday so he could be the first gamer in Singapore to own the latest game from Epic Games and Microsoft. Despite the wait the 22-year-old was in good spirits and good health thanks to his family members who made sure he was okay. The local launch event drew more than 1000 fans.

"I feel great, Ten told local new media after getting the game. "I've been playing from 'Gears of War' till now. I am a huge fan of it. Previously 'Gears of War' and 'Gears of War 2' didn't have any official kind of launch. This one is the final episode and they have a big event so I definitely had to come."

Ten said that he has cleared his schedule for the week to play the game.

"No more going out for the week, just 'Gears'!" he added.

Besides his friends, Ten credits his mother and sister - who are also video game players - with helping him make it through the 29-hour wait.

"My mother and sister play as well. My mother came to accompany me while I queued," said Ten.

Ten's mother was apparently not the only helpful mom: 65-year-old Florence Phua patiently waited in line for hours to get a pre-ordered copy of the game for her son.

"I'm collecting the game for my son. He is in his 30s. "He is not free, he is working today," said Mdm Phua.

She waited five hours before she received her copy of the game.

Source: Channel News Asia

Comments

Re: Singapore Man Waits 29 Hours for Gears of War 3

He made Singaporeans looked like brainless idiots.

Re: Singapore Man Waits 29 Hours for Gears of War 3

I've never waited for a game, but I did wait 24 hrs outside of Best Buy in December waiting for a shipment of 360s to get in.

Re: Singapore Man Waits 29 Hours for Gears of War 3

I think this is the first time i have heard someone use the word "queu" outside of WoW.

Re: Singapore Man Waits 29 Hours for Gears of War 3

Visit England some time. Queuing is our second favorite past time (we like complaining more - mostly about Johnny Foreigner not knowing how to queue).

A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body. Benjamin Franklin

Re: Singapore Man Waits 29 Hours for Gears of War 3

It's "queue", btw, from the French. It means tail in French.

benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am
TechnogeekBig Perm: If you're talking about the image I think you are, then no, not really. The claims it makes are, at best, extremely misleading in many instances.08/04/2015 - 9:28am
E. Zachary KnightBig Perm, That would make logical sense, so of course YouTube would not allow you to set your subscription page as the home page.08/04/2015 - 9:14am
Big PermBy the way. Anyone else kind of spooked by Microsofts data collection that's being reported about Win10? Thinking of finally trying a linux box for general use and Windows for gaming only08/04/2015 - 8:59am
Big PermCan you set youtube to load subs instead of recommendations first?08/04/2015 - 8:54am
MonteI've had mostly good experience with Youtube recommendations... only problem is when i watch a certain video that messes it up and gets me reconmendations i don't want. Though all i have to do is remove said video from my history to fix it08/04/2015 - 8:42am
Big PermYoutube wants me to watch Nicki Minaj videos. I am ok with this. Dat mute tho08/04/2015 - 7:48am
IvresseIronpatriot: I think it's fair to say that even anti-gamergaters want you to just shut the hell up...08/04/2015 - 7:27am
Sora-Chan@Andrew Eisen: A tip for when it comes to clicking people's video recommendations, use Incognito/Private Mode.that'll keep those kinds of recommendations off the radar. =P08/04/2015 - 5:37am
InfophileWow, I just got an e-mailed ad from Nintendo: "FREE AC Adapter with New Nintendo 3DS XL" - So... pretending this didn't used to be normal, are we?08/04/2015 - 3:34am
MattsworknameNight man, take care08/04/2015 - 2:59am
Andrew EisenOff to bed. Play nice.08/04/2015 - 2:53am
Andrew EisenNo worries. Yeah, it's the pits. It's like "How many times do I have to tell you I'm not interested in this producer's work before you stop recommending his videos to me?!"08/04/2015 - 2:53am
MattsworknameAndrew: Sorry man, youtubes recomendations system is really crappy08/04/2015 - 2:49am