FCC Finalizes Net Neutrality Rules, in effect Nov. 20

September 22, 2011 -

The Federal Communications Commission has filed its finalized the open Internet (net neutrality) rules it voted on late last year. The rules now go to the Federal Register, who will publish them tomorrow and make them official. The rules go into effect on November 20, but chances are they will be put on hold as two lawsuits by prominent service providers will be relaunched. Both Verizon and MetroPCS had taken their lawsuits to the federal courts earlier this year but both were tossed out because the rules hadn't been finalized.

Now that they have been officially ratified, expect both companies to rush back to federal court. But even if those lawsuits don't go forward (trust me, they will), the rules adopted by the FCC lack any real teeth and gave many concessions to ISP's like giving them the blessing to engage in usage-based pricing, bandwidth caps and more.

The rules remain the same as they were when the FCC passed them back in December of 2010; they include provisions that force ISP's to disclose their network management practices, and provisions from keeping them from blocking lawful content and services. Mobile networks can still throttle connections and block certain apps if they so choose.

Ultimately advocates for net neutrality probably shouldn't be cheering for these rules because they don't go far enough. You can read the finalized guidelines in this PDF.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: FCC Finalizes Net Neutrality Rules, in effect Nov. 20

So it's Net Neutrality in name only. Why am I not surprised.

Re: FCC Finalizes Net Neutrality Rules, in effect Nov. 20

maybe its because genachowski's like all other politician/beurocrat, willing to change his motivations when he he's offered a one followed by enough zeros?

Re: FCC Finalizes Net Neutrality Rules, in effect Nov. 20

Ultimately advocates for net neutrality probably should be cheering for these rules because they don't go far enough

So we should or should not be cheering?  Sounds like if they don't go far enough, then we should not be cheering.

And the opening sentence doesn't make sense either.  I think there is an extra "the" after "finalized".

Re: FCC Finalizes Net Neutrality Rules, in effect Nov. 20

‚Äčno it's just missing some quotes. should read

....has finalized it's "The Open Internet" (net neutrality)....

or something like that. (EDIT: I may be wrong, the 'the' may be extra afterall, either way it needs some caps)

Re: FCC Finalizes Net Neutrality Rules, in effect Nov. 20

Scary.......

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am