IPO Amendment Reveals Falling Profits for Zynga

September 23, 2011 -

In what can only be described as a non-shocker (except to the investor class who expected big money from the social game maker), Zynga has amended its IPO filing to point out that it is losing money... lots of money. The company noted that its net income for the second quarter fell to $1.4 million; which is about a 90 percent drop from $14 million in the same period a year ago. For some perspective, the company raked in $16.8 million in the first quarter.

The company also reported $279.1 million in revenue for the three months ending June 30, representing a 115 per cent increase compared to the same period last year. Despite that, the company said that total costs and expenses for the second quarter nearly equaled its total revenue, increasing $149 million year-on-year.

Of course, the bulk of this spending, aside from new hires for research & development, comes from all the acquisitions the company made this year. It quietly acquired HipLogic earlier this month to bring the total number of acquisitions to 15 in the past 13 months.

Zynga has delayed its IPO since filing it in July due to tough market conditions.

GI.biz

Posted in

WonderkarpSo Madlibs Demands? Fun game11/24/2014 - 6:01pm
Andrew EisenHackers hack Sony Pictures. Threaten to release data if their demands aren't met. Don't actually issue any demands. http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/24/sony-pictures-shut-down-by-hackers/11/24/2014 - 5:52pm
Wonderkarpi would watch that cause amc11/24/2014 - 5:06pm
MaskedPixelanteBreaking Bugs, new series now in development at AMC. A QA tester for a major game company loses his job when a game launches with major bugs and turns to cooking meth to get by.11/24/2014 - 5:03pm
WonderkarpStar Wars Spinoff is Heist Movie Maybe. Retcons Dark Forces http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/rumor-2016-star-wars-spin-off-film-is-a-heist-story11/24/2014 - 4:50pm
Wonderkarppersonally, I have no opinion other than the Ferguson Police used ridiculous amounts of force in that situation. Other than that, I wasnt there when it happened, I have zero idea what happened. so I cant say anything.11/24/2014 - 4:43pm
james_fudgeyeah :\11/24/2014 - 4:05pm
WonderkarpOh man. Grand Jury verdict coming from Ferguson11/24/2014 - 3:54pm
Wonderkarpits a nasty "Unable to locate DLC" bug, that affects PS4 owners because you cant redownload DLC without deleting your saved game. And the only way to play the game is to wipe your save. Hours wasted.11/24/2014 - 3:51pm
WonderkarpDay 7 of WWE 2k15's Game Breaking Bugs with no resolution. its as bad as the Halo Servers and Unity's Floating eyes/teeth11/24/2014 - 3:50pm
Wonderkarpgranted, looking for sage advice in youtune comments id like looking for ducks in a desert11/24/2014 - 3:34pm
Wonderkarpoh dearie me, im being harrased. wheres the colbert report when you need it! i need to plug my patreon because everything on the web is litterall11/24/2014 - 3:32pm
MonteEisen, Ya the 3D clone wars started out aweful, but it actually got really good in later seasons. Particularly AFTER Ahsoka grows up a bit and stops being annoying. I Liked how the series ended11/24/2014 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenI rather liked First Class but while most thought Future Past was pretty good, the trailers made it look awful and I haven't seen it yet. Come to think of it, I've only seen X-Men 1 and 2 and First Class.11/24/2014 - 3:22pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57310 The biggest shock here is that Bryan Singer is still attatched to direct.11/24/2014 - 3:18pm
Andrew EisenI'm a third from the top. (I stole that joke from a play I did years ago.)11/24/2014 - 3:12pm
MechaCrashUnfortunately, it is not worth the hassle to make another account named "Time" so I can post "haha, of course not" as a shout, but let's pretend I did. For art. And bad comedy.11/24/2014 - 3:11pm
MechaCrashWill our dear Mr. Hornets ever wonder why TvW videos have closed comments? Will he ask himself why anybody thought a GG blocklist needed to be made? Time will tell, my friends. Time will tell.11/24/2014 - 3:11pm
Wonderkarpwell i am a top. lol11/24/2014 - 3:10pm