What to Expect When Your GFW Live Account is Hacked

September 23, 2011 -

When you have an account for a service that keeps your credit card information on file, you hope that the company in question would provide you with some security, and when security fails, you pray that they will do what's right for the customer, but that doesn't always happen. In fact, sometimes companies do nothing at all to help you.

That is exactly what blogger Greg Knight learned about Microsoft when his Games for Windows Live account was hacked. Someone compromised his account and bought two games with his credit card (Batman: Arkham Asylum and Viva Piñata) using 10,000 Microsoft Points, to the tune of $125. He later discovered that his account had been hacked and the hackers changed the "alternate email address" to an account from guerrillamail.com.

After fixing that, Knight told Microsoft about the breach, who then locked down his account to investigate what had happened. After about a month a company representative told Knight that they found no evidence that his account had been hacked. Knight alleges that a Microsoft representative told him that they couldn't help him because his account wasn't connected to an Xbox 360. The representative also told him that he would have to go to his bank to convince them fraud occurred in order to get his money back.

This did not sit well with Knight so he decided to take the matter to his blog, and the court of public opinion. Here's what he wrote:

“Microsoft: If this is indeed your hacking/fraud policy, I find it disturbing. It is not acceptable to ignore credit card fraud that was committed on your service on the grounds that the victim doesn’t own the device that you want them to own. It costs you nothing to simply reset some intangible numbers, refund some money, and let bygones be bygones,” wrote Knight in his blog. “This could have been a very simple matter, but now look at what I’ve had to do. By the time you read this it will be too late for you to make good; the bank will have already been notified. I don’t get by on a lot of extra money after debts and bills are factored in. And yet I was very understanding of your procedure, waiting a month, a month when I really could have used that money. But you blew it.

It is too late for you to make good of your own volition so now it’s my turn to take my money back,” he added. “You didn’t even lose any product to whoever committed the fraud, so I leave public shaming to be your punishment. I hope everyone who reads this is as appalled as I am at how flippant and uncooperative you were over a serious matter like credit fraud.”

So far, Microsoft has not publicly commented on this story.

Source: Industry Gamers

Comments

Re: What to Expect When Your GFW Live Account is Hacked

I've had my MSN E-mail addressed which is connected to anything I do with Microsoft and calling India only to figure out they can't help you is frustrating and yes I dealt with this problem myself having to hire myself someone to get my account back which yeah I wish Microsoft used an authenticator or had one because with it's secruity I really don't buy MS games if I don't have to.

Re: What to Expect When Your GFW Live Account is Hacked

They should draft legislation requiring punctuation in online posts.

Re: What to Expect When Your GFW Live Account is Hacked

Maybe they should draft legislation requiring or at least encouraging companies to offer authenticators to their customers.

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm