Square Enix: Final Fantasy XIV Damaged the Final Fantasy Brand

At a press conference in Tokyo, Japan yesterday, Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada said that the entire Final Fantasy brand has been damaged by its latest MMO title. Final Fantasy XIV, which launched in September of 2010 on PC, did not do as well as anticipated due mostly to serious technical issues, connectivity issues, and bugs at launch. This caused the PS3 version of the MMO to be delayed as the development team put its focus on fixing problems and generally improving the game to make customers happy.

"The Final Fantasy brand has been greatly damaged," said Wada. "We'll continue with our reform work, which basically amounts to fully redoing the game, and hope to revive the FFXIV that should have been released."

Last year Producer Naoki Yoshida laid out a list of gameplay changes to be rolled out into the summer. In the early days of the launch Square Enix was forced to let customers play for free while it worked out all of the game's kinks. Obviously this has had an impact on the company financial standing in its most recent quarter. Luckily it has a number of Western franchises to fall back on, like Deus Ex: Human Revolution..

Source: Gamasutra

Grif says:

Definitely best to remaster 6. Out of all the Final Fantasy games, I think 6 deserves it. It had the best storyline, the best gameplay, and of course, the best villain ever. Don't tell me you wouldn't want to see Sabin's Blitzes or Cyan's SwordTechs in HD. Also, Esper Terra. :3

Monte says:

Best not to remaster 6 and 7. The graphics there are so low that it would not look very good if you beefed up the resolution. But a remake would be welcome; probably a remake for the PSP (though i lack a psp)

Craig R. says:

The mistake is not realizing that re-mastering FF10 for HD is a complete waste of time.

I'll never play 10 again. I enjoyed 9 a lot more than 10, and I won't play 9 again either. Never got into 8.

I could go for a remake/remaster of 6 or 7 though.

Grif says:

So you're saying it shouldn't have had "Final Fantasy" in the title? I fail to see how a mere title can influence the quality of gameplay.

Therein lies another huge problem with our gaming society, we place too much weight on a mere title of a franchise, least of all Final Fantasy, which apparently carries a large expectation of the game to be nearly identical to the "blockbuster" games before it. But instead, we get bitching like "It's not enough like FF7", or "This has nothing to do with any of the other Final Fantasy games!"

I say, play each game, and judge it on its own merit. Take FFXIII for example. I loved the game, I enjoyed the story, and it has one of the greatest combat systems I've ever seen. Can't wait for the sequel.

It's like I'm constantly telling people who want more games like Final Fantasy 7: If you want Final Fantasy 7, then PLAY Final Fantasy 7. Just because a game isn't what you expected doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad game.

ecco6t9 says:

Exactly, it's a great series that should of been allowed to stand on it's own as Crystal Chronicles or considered the  proper evolution of the Mana franchise which itself is related Final Fantasy.

Mr.Tastix says:

Wait, so the fact that there's over 10 games, most of which add nothing new to the genre or series as a whole and only seek to reinforce repetitive gameplay wasn't the reason the game has been damaged?

Well that's a relief! Good thing they're rebooting the entire series again, amirite‚Äč?

Grif says:

I agree on pretty much everything except the FF7 remake. I know I'm in the minority here, but I seriously hope it doesn't ever see the light of day. There's WAY better Final Fantasy games that could use a remake. 6 comes to mind. Re-releasing FF7 with all the bugs and translation errors fixed is one thing, but I, for one, do NOT want to see a high-definition Drag Cloud.

Again, I may be in the minority here, but I didn't have a problem with FF13. I genuinely enjoyed it.

Zerodash says:

I Disagree.  The audience for FFXIV is too small a subset (MMO players who also care about JRPGs and want them together) of the gaming audience for it to be the prime culprit in the damage to the FF name.  Square has been mishandling the franchise for far longer than FFXIV was around.

The disappointment surrounding FFXIII and the sheer overmilking of the Final Fantasy namesake with endless spinoffs and rereleases are what damaged the brand.  There was once a time when a new Final Fantasy game was a big event.  Now, these games come so frequently and with so much more "fluff" that the franchise has been effectively devalued.

Final Fantasy could be argued to be analogous to Call of Duty: fair or not, it represents what is wrong with Japanese games in the way CoD represents all that is wrong with Western games.

…of course, when (not "if") the FF7 remake comes out, any negativity toward the brand will be irrelevant when it makes tons of money.

Samster says:

And 13 was the jewel in its crown, right?

Almost forgot my sarcasm disclaimer there. Having played FF13-2 at the Eurogamer Expo on Saturday, I can safely say the only thing damaging the FF brand right now is Square Enix.

Erik says:

The series ended for me at 9.  10 wasn't great, but it was good.  Though in retrospect comparing it to everything that came after it was pretty great.  But again that is only in comparison.