ACTA to be Signed Oct. 1 in Japan

September 29, 2011 -

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) will be signed on October 1 at a ceremony in Japan, according to a report in After Dawn. According to a press release from the Japanese government, signatories will include Japan, the EU, the United States, Australia, Canada, South Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore and Switzerland.

If you are wondering why you haven't heard a lot about the negotiations leading up to the ratification of this treaty to supposedly "strengthen intellectual property laws," that's because the countries involved in it have done a great job of keeping it a secret. Still numerous leaks of draft documents and discussions in meeting should give every citizen of the world pause. As After Dawn points out, much of what this treaty expects from participating countries is questionable; some of the provisions in it violate U.S. and EU law.

It will be interesting to see how opponents of this new agreement fight it. Thanks to ZippyDMSlee for the tip.

Source: After Dawn

Posted in

Comments

Re: ACTA to be Signed Oct. 1 in Japan

"We the corporations..."

Re: ACTA to be Signed Oct. 1 in Japan

ACTA, bringing corporateocracy to a country near you.

Re: ACTA to be Signed Oct. 1 in Japan

So now that they've announced it's been agreed to and will be signed.  Presumably there should be a draft publicly available.  Anyone seen a link to a version that wasn't leaked but actually released?

I want to figure out how loudly to yell at "my elected officials".

===============

Chris Kimberley

Re: ACTA to be Signed Oct. 1 in Japan

*plays imperial march*

uhg we have enough IP rules,lets roll go back to pre 1995, then enhance fair use with the internet in mind then close the indexing and file sharing loopholes then take it out to the world via treaties....

---