Activision Pays Community College $35k for a Web Domain

October 3, 2011 -

A letter hand-delivered to Sussex County Community College President Paul Mazur on February 14 has managed to net the school $35,000 dollars for a web domain. The story begins on that date when the new president of the community college received a letter offer of $7,500 for the domain name the school paid $5 to reserve: Skylanders.com. Skylanders happens to be the name of SCCC's athletic teams, the only college or high school with that team nickname in the country, in fact. It is also the name of an upcoming game from Activision.

"It didn't take us too long to find out who was behind it," said Kathleen Scott, director of marketing and public relations for the school, "and why."

Mazur told the college's Board of Trustees on Tuesday that he was new and didn't know who was behind the offer at the time.

"I was new. I didn't know who was behind it at the time. It came from an attorney, but if the offer was $7,500, I felt we needed to look into it more."

After a bit of back-and-forth between the school and lawyers for Activision, the publisher cut the school a check for $35,000.

Scott says that the school is also looking at creating "a working relationship" between Activision and the college.

"We are, after all, the only school with the name Skylanders," she said. "There's team sponsorships, naming rights to be considered here."

The school also owns Skylander.org.

Source: New Jersey Harald

Comments

Re: Activision Pays Community College $35k for a Web Domain

It's good to see Activision supporting higher education

-----------------------------------------

Managing Editor at TheBestGameSiteEver.com

Poll

Should ‘sexism’ factor into a video game’s rating?:

Andrew EisenYep, it's pretty clear that whoever at the IGDA grabbed that list, didn't look at it first. I think the fact that there's over 10,000 names on it should have been a bit of a red flag.11/22/2014 - 6:44pm
Wonderkarppenguin books is on the list. wow.11/22/2014 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpthats better, though I'd prefer something a little more than a simple tweet, I'll take it.11/22/2014 - 6:37pm
Andrew EisenKate Edwards' Twitter: "like people, tools are imperfect; we've removed it for now."11/22/2014 - 6:35pm
Andrew EisenHard to say with any certainty but it appears it at least understands the tool didn't do what it thought it did.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
WonderkarpI've yet to find the IGDA responding too the situation other than deleting a link.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
Matthew WilsonI hope the IGDA understands why its a mistake, that's all I want.11/22/2014 - 6:33pm
Andrew EisenHeh, lawyering up would be grossly overracting! And really silly. Well, if what the IGDA did say was not enough for you, try contacting them and letting them know how you feel.11/22/2014 - 6:31pm
Wonderkarpall I want is an apology from the IGDA. nothing fancy, not even addressed to me. Just something that says, "We messed up. We're Sorry" thats it. Not exactly those words except Sorry. If I was overreacting, I'd be lawyering up.11/22/2014 - 6:29pm
Andrew EisenI get it, I just think you're taking it the wrong way and overreacting.11/22/2014 - 6:27pm
Wonderkarpatleast Matthew understands why I am miffed at that list11/22/2014 - 6:26pm
Andrew EisenMatthew - That I agree with. Linking to that list was silly. Hopefully IGDA will more carefully vet the resources it links to make sure they do what they're supposed to.11/22/2014 - 6:25pm
Andrew EisenNope. No insults.11/22/2014 - 6:21pm
WonderkarpAnd here come the insults. Wanna throw some more?11/22/2014 - 6:18pm
Andrew EisenYou're an English major? Wow.11/22/2014 - 6:16pm
Matthew Wilsonno I am glad they did, but I want this talked about so it does not happen again.11/22/2014 - 6:15pm
Wonderkarpdude, I'm an english major. It means everybody on that list is a harasser but they couldnt get all the harassers in the list.11/22/2014 - 6:14pm
Andrew EisenPerhaps so, and again, the IGDA took it down. Does that mean nothing to you guys? Are mistakes eternal? Can we never atone? Never make amends? Are we forever damned?11/22/2014 - 6:14pm
Andrew Eisen1. No, that's not what that means. 2. Yeah, I'll be interested to see if there is any tangible damage whatsoever. But hey, I'm not on the list (or maybe I am, I don't know) so maybe I just couldn't understand.11/22/2014 - 6:13pm
Matthew Wilsonthe implacation is that everyone on that list harassed people. that being said I would not be surprised if their lawyer told them to take it down to be safe.11/22/2014 - 6:12pm