EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

October 3, 2011 -

Speaking to GameIndustry.biz, Jens Uwe Intat, the head of Electronic Arts Europe, said that his company continues to have a good working relationship with Valve Software, despite launching its own rival digital distribution services earlier this year. He is referring to the companies' continuing their retail relationship, and not necessarily the rivalry between its Origin digital distribution service and Valve's Steam.

"Valve is run by very clever people, and I would say that's also true for Electronic Arts, we're all good business people," Intat told GamesIndustry.biz. "So, Valve, when they're looking for distribution for their products, looking at which publisher could actually do that, then I think we're the best publisher on the planet, both in Europe and North America."

"We have a long history of distributing Valve products and I think for every title they will look for who will do the best job," he continued. "There's no strain on that relationship because we're competing in one space. We're basically competing and working with a lot of people. Every first party manufacturer is a partner of ours when we're distributing their product, and a competitor of ours with their own software. I think, as an industry, we're pretty good at competing and co-operating at the same time."

EA COO Peter Moore said in a separate interview that he was not sure that EA is taking Steam on with Origin.

"I'm not sure we're taking them on," Moore said. "We're a great compliment to that business. We want to be able to support our customer directly. If there are opportunities to do that, then we'll do that. If Valve, through Steam are willing to allow us to do that, then there are no issues whatsoever. In the instances where you're not seeing a game on Steam, it's primarily because we can't deal directly with our consumer to resolve issues and do things we want to be able to do."

One of EA's major contentions has been that Valve will not let EA deal with customers directly when it comes to certain things such as patching software on steam, and that is why it was necessary to create a service like Origin.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

As Long as Crysis 2 gets back on Steam. I do not care about BF3 being Origins only.

Re: EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

Sure, why not. Origin is inferior in almost every way to Steam. There is no reason for either party to be upset as there is no threat to either business.

Sure I'm disgusted with EA for making me use this piece of crap for BF3 and SW:TOR but I won't fault the developers of the games for it. They're stuck like we are with an arrogant publisher.

Re: EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

it might be true that EA still has a good relationship with Valve.

However, they do not have a good relationship with their customers anymore.

╔╦═╣Signature Statement╠═╦╗

If you don't like something I said in a post, don't just hit the dislike, let me know your thoughts! I'm interested in knowing everyone's opinions, even when they don't mesh with my own.

Re: EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

Oh, yeah?. Very nice, EA, very nice.

How about then if you fix the messy Mirror's Edge release you have in Steam?. Compatibility with the DLC, which should be free BTW, achievements and bugfixes would go a long way. Your customers are the ones getting the short end there, and many of us are thinking very seriously of stopping being your customers.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

WonderkarpAny of you guys watch Game Grumps? They have an episode detailing alot of the bugs in the hilariously bad Sonic Boom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Jb3A0HLe4&list=UU9CuvdOVfMPvKCiwdGKL3cQ11/26/2014 - 4:19pm
Andrew EisenI'm blanking. What's MMS?11/26/2014 - 4:16pm
james_fudgeI keep an eye on it for really good deals11/26/2014 - 4:00pm
MaskedPixelanteEhh, MSS is only half off, I can wait for it to go under 1011/26/2014 - 3:48pm
NeenekoWhich is why I completely ignore the site.11/26/2014 - 3:15pm
james_fudgeAHHH Someone bar the door and keep the kids away from the credit cards!11/26/2014 - 3:14pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Ralph Retort is a toxic mess and the guy is literally building his career on the back of the GamerGate movement. Whether you believe GamerGate is right or wrong this is a man profiteering on this war.11/26/2014 - 2:56pm
WonderkarpTHE STEAM SALES HAVE BEGUN!11/26/2014 - 2:16pm
MaskedPixelanteUnless you have said DLC already, then you can get the equally broken FarCry 4.11/26/2014 - 2:15pm
WonderkarpI love Boogie. He's awesome.11/26/2014 - 2:02pm
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/ubisoft-apologizes-for-assassins-creed-unity-with-free-1663768202 [Sarcasm]Ubisoft Apologizes for making a broken game, gives out free dlc for said broken game[/sarcasm]11/26/2014 - 1:53pm
Andrew EisenIt's a cute joke to make but it’s important to note that the person's view is not gendered. It's not about not supporting a female dev, it's about not supporting GamerGate. Gender is irrelevant in this case.11/26/2014 - 1:10pm
Neo_DrKefkaToo add what Andrew said about the The Ralph Retort it is no different from what you read at Gawker. I remember reading The Ralph Retort on how Boogie was the bad guy from being on the fence until he jumped to the GamerGate side.11/26/2014 - 12:42pm
Wonderkarpthat, I do not know the answer too. I see some people saying they wont vote for her because of it. I'm pointing out the irony.11/26/2014 - 12:31pm
Andrew EisenIs this call to not vote for her game widespread or is it just the one tweet from the one guy?11/26/2014 - 12:19pm
Wonderkarphttps://twitter.com/GMShivers here's her twitter if you wanna look. I didnt see any harassment. 11/26/2014 - 12:07pm
Andrew EisenI'm just curious what kind of GamerGater the dev is. Does she harass people? If so, I could understand the desire not to support her. "Very Pro-GG" doesn't tell me anything.11/26/2014 - 12:05pm
NeenekoWhile boycotts have their place, small ones like that just hurt small producers for no real gain. It is just being petty.11/26/2014 - 12:02pm
WonderkarpI'm addicted too their deals :P When I find an alternative, I'll drop Kotaku :P. you Tease cause you care though :)11/26/2014 - 11:57am
Andrew EisenWarning, light teasing incoming. Ahem. So, not only could you not go a full four hours without reading The Ralph Retort, but you read Kotaku? A site you say you're actively trying to convince others to stay away from? Wow!11/26/2014 - 11:56am