Jimquisition: Fighting the ‘Problem’ of Used Games

Last week we highlighted Jim Sterling's rant on what publishers and developers say about the used games market and how it is mostly nonsense. This week's episode of The Jimquisition on The Escapist is full of sunshine and roses as the outspoken Destructoid editor talks about some of the tactics that being used by publishers that he does NOT find obnoxious, and would like to see further encouraged. Instead of punishing people for buying games, Jim thinks they should do more to reward them for buying games new.

You can watch the latest episode here or go native on The Escapist.

MechaTama31 says:

Yes, of course.  Because publishers don't spend the money they make on making new games or anything.  No, they gold-plate their executives' foreskins!

Andrew Eisen says:

The reply I made to your post was a reply I made to your post.  The one that was not a reply to your post was not a reply to your post.

This is obviously a reply to my post, so why didn't you reply to my post?

What on Earth does the high price of out-of-print games have to do with anything?

Andrew Eisen

Uncharted NES says:

The problem Andrew, is that some PS games (PS2, SNES, Genesis, etc.) have gone out print which shoots the price up to ridiculous levels.

Also were you replying to my post or was that in general? :)

Andrew Eisen says:

Heh, as a single player gamer, I'd put those definitions the other way around.  Still, the way I see it, you have to jump through a hoop to access content you already paid for.

Andrew Eisen

E. Zachary Knight says:

The main difference, which I got from the video, is that with the Online Pass, you are having to go through extra steps to get content that is critical to the enjoyment of most games (online multiplayer) For the Offline Pass, you are going through extra steps to access side quest type material, not critical to the enjoyment of the game..

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Andrew Eisen says:

I agree that publishers would be better served by making new games more attractive to purchase and hold on to but I honestly see no difference between the online pass and Rage's offline pass.

I also don't see the online pass as a form of punishment.  At least, not for used buyers specifically.  After all, both used and new buyers have to do extra work to access multiplayer.  In fact, from an input standpoint, used buyers may have that easier.

Andrew Eisen

Andrew Eisen says:

If you can't afford $60 for a new game it's unlikely you're going to be able to afford $55 for the used copy so I don't think it matters much.  After all, you bought a used copy of 6-year-old and 10-year-old, last generation games that aren't sold new at retail anymore (hopefully you paid less than $35 or you got ripped-off).

Andrew Eisen

Uncharted NES says:

I just found out that my hours will be cut again at my job due to economic woes. Do you think that means I’ll be able to shell out $60 for a new game now?

I just picked up Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (for the PS2, not the new versions) used and with credit from selling some books and stuff and those will keep me going along fine until my situation (hopefully changes.)

You have to look at the economic climate, if we can’t AFFORD a game, how can we PLAY it? At least you are suggesting to reward players for buying it instead of whining and trying to push draconian laws tactics on us. (Like Resident Evil Mercenaries)

And to the whining idiots, you are only pushing people toward only buying used games.