Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

October 4, 2011 -

To the left you see the banner Nintendo is using on its Anti-Piracy website’s welcome page.

Not very welcoming, is it?

Aside from giving your children nightmares of Mario gutting them like a fish, the site allows visitors to report piracy, learn how to identify counterfeit Nintendo goods, and read up on recent Nintendo anti-piracy news like its recent victory in France against the sale of R4 cartridges.

From the site:

“The primary goal of the Anti-Piracy Program is to reduce Internet piracy, availability of various infringing devices used to play illegal Nintendo game files, and the production and distribution of counterfeit Nintendo products around the world. Through education, raising awareness and legal actions, Nintendo is working hard to preserve the video game industry's ability to make investments into developing new and exciting games, and to give all legally-sold Nintendo games a chance to succeed.”

Well, it certainly beats DRM, eh?

Via: GamePro

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

Nintendo is lying as usual. ROM files and game copying devices are not in and of themselves illegal. You can't get arrested for possessing them as if they were drugs. Redistributing them might be illegal, but they are not intrinsically illegal in and of themselves.

Re: Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

I think nintendo is encountering the classic problem of mixing lies and truth,.. the advantages are clear.. people see truth and believe the lies, gaining you more then you are owed... but there is always the risk that if they discover the lies they will stop believing the truth and you loose more then you should.

Nintendo would do better by sticking to facts and truth.. more people would support them.

Re: Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

Maybe if they released some of their juicy only-for-japan titles that fans want over here, people wouldn't feel compelled to do so in the first place. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that it's easy for some people to get behind that reason.

Re: Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

Oh wow. Their description of warez is way off the mark.

Re: Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

The banner shows up differently when I view the page. It only shows Mario's head from the nose and up, peering over the top like an Italian Big Brother -- a Grande Fratello, if you will.

Re: Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

That's because I botched the link.

Fixed.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

Yeah, the link in the article is to the FAQ page, the home page is the one with Angry Mario: https://ap.nintendo.com/index.jsp

There is also a rather menacing view on this page as well: https://ap.nintendo.com/news/

Re: Pirates Beware: Mario Will KILL YOU!

La Koopa Nostra