Team Bondi to Close

October 5, 2011 -

It's game over for Team Bondi, the Australian development studio that helped create LA Noire for Rockstar Games. According to papers filed with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission, Team Bondi will close its doors and its assets will be sold off to pay creditors. Liquidators have been appointed at the company to sell off assets and pay off the company's debts, documents show.

Team Bondi spent seven years developing the game for Rockstar, and by most accounts the gritty film noir action adventure game did pretty well. But the company's problems seemed to be from a lack of management and what some former Team Bondi developers described as a hostile and oppressive work environment where management was constantly forcing employees to stay at work for long periods of time. Most of the complaints were directed at studio head Brendan McNamara, who they accused of poor management and bullying.

After all the bad PR Rockstar washed its hands of the studio. Months later McNamara jumped ship with several Team Bondi employees to Happy Feet 2 studio KMM. Staff were reportedly offered a choice between a job at the new firm or severance terms.

Source: GI.biz

Image provided by Shutterstock.com. All rights reserved.

Comments

Re: Team Bondi to Close

It's a shame that poor management that created a hostile working environment has led to a bunch of people losing their jobs. It just goes to show that people work better with help and encouragement than they ever will with threats, overwork and abuse. This is what management never seems to understand: people want to make a good product, and a good manager encourages them to do their best, rather than demanding it.

Re: Team Bondi to Close

Rockstar gets to keep the rights to L.A. Noire though don't they? I really like that game and I hope they make a sequel or maybe an expansion pack or something like they did with GTA:IV and RDR.

-----------------------------------------

Managing Editor at TheBestGameSiteEver.com

MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm
Big PermNow that steam refunds are a thing, I'd hope they care more about not releasing a buggy mess.08/04/2015 - 8:34pm
MattsworknameI really think someone should get on bethesda abotu this and find out if there gonna fix it for the anthology, and if those fixs will be provide to those who already own the software on steam08/04/2015 - 8:24pm
Mattsworknamethey fix it, I fear this is gonna be a problem cause it means 2 games will be nearly unusa le for a large number of those buying the game08/04/2015 - 8:23pm
MattsworknameSo, I have a concern. Im super pumped for fallout 4, but I noticed bethesda is also selling an anthology. Which is a great idea, save that both Fallout 3 and New vegas are near unusable on anything paste windows 7, and even on 7 it's a buggy mess. Unless08/04/2015 - 8:22pm
benohawkI've had no issues so far08/04/2015 - 6:45pm
MattsworknameSame here so far, minus some issues with a few old games, it's been solid for me. I do think they need to adjust some of the interface in the start menu, but I can work with it08/04/2015 - 5:56pm