Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

October 11, 2011 -

In a recent interview with Dengeki PlayStation, Sony Corp.'s Yoshio Matsumoto told the publication that his company is still trying to figure out what it plans to do with consumers who own games on the UMD format as it heads towards its March release of PlayStation Vita. He said that Sony is "looking into" offering UMD owners the chance to re-download their games on the Vita for a special price.

This is not the first time the home office for Sony has talked about how to deal with those who have lots of games on UMD format; last month the company hinted that it was looking into some sort of program to help customers move away from UMD's by offering games for download. This new interview is the first time Sony has mentioned that users might have to pay for it.

It will be interesting to see just how much it will cost consumers to re-download software they already own, and if Sony will even bring this program to the United States.

Source: Kotaku

Image provided by Shutterstock © Barone Firenze 2011. All rights reserved.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

With all the Smartphone Gaming talk this service should be 99¢ per title.

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

I would get behind this.  I would be interested in having a few of my UMD games on the Vita.

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

Why not just set the price at 5.99 and add all the titles you can to the archive.

---

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

I'm not keen on paying for my games twice, so it'd better be free, or else Sony's going to have a hard time selling to me.

Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm