Pipeworks Head Resigns Over Military Records

October 12, 2011 -

Robert Daly, who served as the head of Foundation 9 Entertainment's wholly owned studio, Pipeworks, today resigned, after several weeks of criticism over what some former military men were calling faked credentials. Daly became the target of harsh criticism when professionalsoldiers.com obtained his military records from the US's National Personnel Records Center and United States Army Special Operations Command, which showed he was an analyst, rather than a Special Forces soldier - which he publicly claimed to be a member of numerous times.

"I am honoured to have served with the 12th Special Forces Group as an Intelligence Analyst (96B) from 1991 until 1994," said Daly. "While I wore the green beret as part of my uniform, I utterly regret that I have misrepresented my role by creating the impression that I was a Green Beret. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Green Berets and my fellow servicemen, and I respectfully apologize to the Special Forces community."

"At this point in time for the best interests of Pipeworks Software and F9E I am voluntarily resigning my position of Studio Head of Pipeworks effective immediately. Furthermore I have no plans on appearing in any more episodes of Deadliest Warrior."

Pipeworks is best known for developing the Deadliest Warrior games for Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. The games are based on the popular Spike TV series of the same name, which pits warriors from different eras against each other in hypothetical match-ups using various combat experts from around the world. While Daly says in his statement that his resignation was voluntary, one has to wonder if there might have been some pressure from Spike TV or its parent company to get rid of him and move past the controversy.

Source: GI.biz

Posted in

Comments

Re: Pipeworks Head Resigns Over Military Records

Seems to me that some folks at professionalsoldiers.com have way too much time on their hands. If he wore a green beret and served with 12th Special Forces, he was a Green Beret serving with Special Forces. What's the big deal?

I guess analysts and other support soldiers who wear the green beret aren't worthy, even though without them, the front line soldiers wouldn't be able to do what they do. But clearly the Green Berets are an exclusive club in which some soldiers' green berets aren't green enough. I wonder who will be next to be excluded? First go men like Robert Daly, then go the combat soldiers who were not called to serve in combat, then go the ones who didn't get enough medals. At a certain point, you don't have enough for a two-man conversation.

All I can say is this: if they're going to go after guys like Robert Daly (and we all know they went after him not because they had a legitimate suspicion, but because he doesn't look the part of an ex-Green Beret - he's overweight and he doesn't shave his head or have a prominent tattoo), then I'm glad I'm not part of that club. No one likes a bully.

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

InfophileI know the ZE series was in the red in Japan, but international series boosted it to profitability. That may not mean it's more profitable in the west, but it does mean ZE3 wouldn't exist without the western market.07/04/2015 - 7:54am
Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am