Catwoman in Arkham City Requires VIP Pass Code Redemption

Warner Bros. has confirmed to Eurogamer that the Batman: Arkham City VIP pass (a code that comes in the retail box) unlocks the playable Catwoman content. While Warner Bros. says that "playing as Catwoman is not required to complete the game," to access her in the campaign missions you'll need to use the code. When Warner Bros. first started talking about Catwoman as a playable character, they noted that her part in the game's story was around 10 percent. Apparently you can play the game without her and her omission will not affect getting the Platinum Trophy on the PS3.

Without the VIP pass code, Catwoman still appears in the game as part of the storyline, but her playable missions remain locked, as do any achievements or trophies associated with her.

On Xbox 360 the Batman VIP pass costs 800 Microsoft Points and on the PlayStation 3 it costs £7.99, or around $10 USD.

Eurogamer uncovered this news from a video title screen. It read: "Catwoman is a unique character with her own story, moves, and weapons. Unlock Catwoman by redeeming the 1st purchaser included in the game case or by visiting Xbox Live Marketplace."

Source: Eurogamer

greevar says:

This is not the way to encourage people to buy new copies. These companies think entirely about themselves and completely ignore their customers. Why else would they do such an anti-consumer thing? This doesn't benefit the customers in anyway, it only serves their desires.

Here's what they should do:

The biggest sales come in the first 6 weeks (I read that somewhere, I forget where) after release. So, after the early adopter sales, drop the price by half and keep it there for 6 more weeks and do the same thing again for another 6 weeks. This way, it's harder for used games to be profitable for the likes of Gamestop (their profits shrink when you drop the price on used games they just bought, making the used game market less valuable) and people who buy used, will be willing to buy new, snagging sales that you would never had gotten at the original release price. It's the perfect solution. You drop the prices aggressively so the used market can't keep up and people don't need to buy used to save money. They can do this because their marginal costs are tiny after the fixed costs are recouped. It will actually make them more in profits because they'd increase the volume of sales.

So, a $60 game becomes $30 after 6 weeks and it becomes $15 after 12 weeks. Imagine how many people would snap up the game at $15. So what about people who will just wait for the game to drop in price that would have bought at $60? Well, I'd offer them something they must have when it's out for $60, something they just have to get with the game and will pay $60 to get it. I don't know what that thing is, market studies and focus groups would have to figure that out, maybe some experiments with different incentives (that's incentives, not take away what should have been included in the first place) that make the game more valuable (maybe giving away limited free copies of older games that are no longer selling?).

Zen says:

My issue is that this is not simply a "DLC" pack that will be added later to keep people playing…it was a major part of the game that they have talked about and stated over and over that it will be part of it for MONTHS now.  The interview I did with Michael Elkind of Warner Brothers Interactive back during the San Diego Comic Con earlier this year covered the addition of Catwoman as a playable character in the game…but it was never mentioned once that it would be a separate DLC.  They announced it as part of the game, as a feature for all to expect and the reason some people may have pre-ordered, but now we see that even that purchase new for some people will not be available because they may not have the ability to download this previously promised and long in development part of the game be it for lack of proper broadband internet, lack of storage, etc.

Now I generally do appreciate DLC as a way to add to a game as long as it is handled in a respectful way in regards to the consumer. On the last show I recorded, we talked about my issue with it not always being available on a disc somehow, but I am ok with the add ons coming as long as they are not promised and removed just for the sake of trying to force a brand new purchase.  DLC can be a slippery slope and sadly some developers are just choosing to slide right down without a care of how they treat their consumers.

Grif says:

Like Andrew said earlier, what about the people with no internet access? They bought the game new, but they still can't access their "free" content. How is that fair, even to the people who buy the game new?

eston says:

It depends on how you look at it I suppose. What I see is DLC content with a $10 value that you don't have to purchase separately if you buy the game new. And DLC is exactly what it is – the content is not on the disc.

Papa Midnight says:

I'm sorry to say that that is a poor analysis of the situation. It is not free. It is covered in the cost of the product. The used product is in no way inferior to the new product save for the fact that it is not in the packaging and the product key may or may not have been used – in the situation of games featuring such passes. It is nothing more than an attempt to recoup losses made to used game sales which first parties don't see a penny from. The sad part is that it is an attempt which will work because persons en masse do not decry it and will patronize blindly.

Ivresse says:

They did actually say the 360 version the Batman VIP pass costs 800 Microsoft Points.

PC I don't know, but over here in the UK some retailers don't accept PC games for trade in anyway. A couple do like CEX, but second-hand PC games are a bit hard to come by due to the likely-hood of installation codes not working due to them already being used.

DanHoyt says:

This is getting ridiculous. I can see this becoming standard operating procedure to punish people who buy a game used. We keep hearing more about online passes for multiplayer and other content that needs a pass to unlock, but this is lame.

Andrew Eisen says:

Shame about those gamers (like my mom out in Kentucky) who don't have internet access and can't play as Catwoman whether the game is bought new or used.

An online pass to access offline content is exceedingly uncool, Warner Bros.

What's next, an online pass to unlock all of a game's content?

Andrew Eisen

*Far as I know, all the Catwoman content is on the disc.

EDIT: Okay, according to IGN's review, the Catwoman content not included on the disc and is indeed downloaded.

kagirinai says:

We really need a decision made on what media is to us. Is it a product, or a service? 'Cause I think people are starting to get pretty sick of companies, like game publishers, keeping the issue in a state of quantum flux — defining it differently when it's convenient to them.

If the content is on the disc, and I purchased the disc, do I not have ownership of that copy of the content? Why can the publisher prevent me from accessing it?

David says:

This really makes me mad.  OK, fine, I've got the game preordered and this won't be an issue for me anyway, but it doesn't change the fact that this Day 1 DLC stuff is completely out of hand.