Temporary Injunction Against Mojang Denied by Swedish Court

October 18, 2011 -

Minecraft developer Mojang has 2on the very first round in its legal fight with Bethesda and parent company Zenimax over use of the name "scrolls" in its upcoming game. Lawyers for Zenimax asked a Swedish court to put a temporary injunction on Mojang that would have prevented them from using the name while the case is being sorted out.

The court declined that request earlier this week, and while Zenimax has the right to appeal the decision, Mojang is obviously delighted with the outcome. If Bethesda doesn't appeal we assume the case goes forward towards the main complaint concerning infringement and brand confusion related to the "Elder Scrolls" name.

"We won the interim injunction! We can keep using the name 'Scrolls'," said Markus Persson in a tweet this morning. "ZeniMax/Bethesda can still appeal the ruling, but I'm very happy. :D"

"I’m very happy that the courts saw it our way and that Scrolls will get to keep its name," tweeted Mojang co-founder Jakob Porsor. "Hurray! #Scrolls."

Later Persson tweeted that he had no animosity towards Bethesda, despite the lawsuit.

We'll have more on this story as it develops. For now Mojang can continue promoting its upcoming game with the name.

Thanks to Kajex for the tip.

Source: PlayStation Universe

Comments

Re: Temporary Injunction Against Mojang Denied by Swedish Court

Lets hope that is case gets done and over with and that both Mojang and Bethesda can move on from this.

Re: Temporary Injunction Against Mojang Denied by Swedish Court