CCP Cuts 20 Percent of Staff

October 19, 2011 -

EVE Online developer CCP announced today that it is reducing its staff by 20 percent, most of whom work out of its Atlanta, Georgia offices. A few layoffs will occur at its home offices as well. The company said in a press release today that developing three products at once has caused the company's output on its flagship product to suffer. The company is working on EVE Online expansions, Dust 514 and the new MMO World of Darkness.

"As we re-examine our outward relations, we are also taking time to re-evaluate our internal goals," the company said in a release today. "In doing so, we have come to the conclusion that we are attempting too many things for a company our size. Developing EVE expansions, DUST 514 and World of Darkness has stretched our resources too thin.

The company went on to say that EVE Online is in good health and that development of its flagship product as well as Dust 514 will take priority over World of Darkness. The company said that World of Darkness development would continue, albeit at a slower pace.

"As an innovator in the industry, CCP has never shied away from tough decisions, remaining agile to allow for shifts in production, technology and gaming trends since even before the launch of EVE Online. While our decision to refocus is a solemn one, it will benefit our players through a renewed commitment to the EVE Universe and its fans."

Source: GI.biz

Posted in

Comments

Re: CCP Cuts 20 Percent of Staff

Can I haz der stuffz?

You knew SOMEONE was gonna say it, right?  :)

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Re: CCP Cuts 20 Percent of Staff

*smirk* yeah someone had to say it.

Though part of me wonders, given past issues with corruption between employies and in-game entities, if value to in game groups might have factored in to who got fired and who did not.

Re: CCP Cuts 20 Percent of Staff

I was wondering when this was going to catch up with them.

While I love EvE, their development process has always felt like 'hobbiest scaled up'... crow, it was not that long ago they actually discovered use of version control.   I keep worrying that WiS will sink them.

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm