Study Author to Discuss Findings on Time-Use Effects and Violent Games

October 20, 2011 -

University of Texas at Arlington economics associate professor Michael Ward will explain his findings about violence and video game usage in detail at 3 p.m. Friday (Oct. 21) in Business Building Room 609 as part of the Kuemmerlein Workshop Series at the university. Ward worked with A. Scott Cunningham of Baylor University and Benjamin Engelstatter of the Center for European Economic Research’s Information and Communication Technologies Research Group to study the effects of playing video games as it relates to violent crimes.

Ward said he and his colleagues published the report to address "time-use effects," which shows how gamers use their time. That time allocation could account for several studies published earlier this year that show the rate of violent crime declining.

"In this paper, we argue that since laboratory experiments have not measured the time-use effects of video games, they may be poor predictors of the net-effects of violent video games," said Ward,

More research on time-use effects could also provide an explanation for declines in violent-crime rates in a way psychological studies are not able to, according to Wards' report. That report shows that the time-use effects create a decline in crime rates, despite the reported relationship between violent video game play and aggression.

We look forward to hearing some in-depth analysis of time-use effects and perhaps the promise from Ward to continue conducting more research on the subject.

Source: The Shorthorn

Comments

Re: Study Author to Discuss Findings on Time-Use Effects and ...

It's Shorthorn. One word.

Also, aweosme! I go to this university, so I'll have to attend this.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm