DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed

October 21, 2011 -

Dueling reports on the future of Doom 4 make for an interesting morning. In one report from Kotaku, an "anonymous source" tells the publication that because Rage performed so poorly, id Software's next big title in the Doom series had been delayed. The anonymous source went on to say that Bethesda and its parent company Zenimax held a "company-wide meeting" in Dallas, where the decision was finally made. Finally, the source claimed that there was “a serious lack of confidence in the project management at id."

Not so fast, says Bethesda PR frontman, Peter Hines. Taking to Twitter, Hines called the report "complete bollocks."

"Re: DOOM 4 rumor, games are done when they are done and no title under development at id has been postponed – indefinitely or otherwise," tweeted Hines.

Later Kotaku updated its story with further comments from Hines, who said the following:

"We don't comment on unannounced games and DOOM 4 hasn't been announced (though I appreciate that id has previously referenced DOOM 4)," Hines said. "Games are done when they are done and no title under development at id has been postponed – indefinitely or otherwise."

Sources: Develop, Kotaku, The Escapist

Comments

Re: DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed

Great read about the DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed,.

Boot camp

Re: DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed

Considering their history I'd say there is a good chance of them being very successful with 4. I own both doom 3 and rage which are both excellent games. They may not have the best of storylines and have poor multiplayer when compared to games like gears but they are still very enjoyable and I can not wait for them to release the next doom.

Was intended to be a reply to zippy's post.

Re: DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed

True but I found DOOM3,Quake 4, Quake wars and wolfenstine to be subpar, wolfenstine was the only one that was enjoyable for me. I hope they learn something from the other games lack of sells and make DOOM 4 with more effort and depth than the games mentioned. Also whats helping rage is its more open world than a flat corridor shooter. All in all I want more to DOOM 4 not less but at the end of the day I feel it will be just another mediocre AAA game.

---

Re: DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed

Eh, Let's hope for the best then. I'm waiting to see the first build. I am kinda hoping it'll be like Doom 2, and using Rage's open world.

Re: DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed

As generic as rage is and as bad as DOOM 3 was they can keep DOOM 4 postponed indefinitely for all I care.

---

Re: DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed

Good idea, condemn a game before we know anything about it.

The next Halo will suck because a new studio is making it.

Re: DOOM 4 Delay Rumors Squashed

KILL IT DEAD KILL IT WITH FIRE KILL IT NOW!

ID and affiltes track record has been crappy for the last half dozen or so years, best to kill it now than try and "unsee" it later!

---

Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am