'Black Rifles' Popularized by Games Trending in Canada

October 26, 2011 -

The demand for modern day weaponry is apparently on the rise in Canada, and video games are the reason why, according to a report in The Times Colonist. The paper of note for Newfoundland notes that the tastes of Canadian gun owners has shifted from firearms associated with hunting to modern-day, military grade weapons, or what the cool kids call "black rifles."

These modern collectors are more interested in shooting guns than hunting and want access to the guns they might see in games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield. The report highlights one such collector, a 28-year-old Newfoundlander named Greg MacDonald who calls the research and attention to detail that goes into these armaments as "poetry in motion."

"When I see a firearm, I see engineering, mathematics and physics," he says. "In terms of technology and machining, these modern black firearms simply outclass anything my grandfather ever owned.

And, he adds, "they happen to look as good as they work."

As a new generation of young men become interested in shooting, retailers are trying to meet the growing demand for black rifles. Canadian authorities are worried about the trend in the face of a repeal of the long-gun registry by the federal government. Gun enthusiasts and those who sell to them accuse them of trying to stop the legal sale military technology to the public.

Chris Youngson, a leading Canadian firearms retailer, sells black rifles through his Vancouver-based website CanadaAmmo.com. He says the consumer behavior of Canadian firearms enthusiasts is clearly changing and that selling only antiquated hunting rifles and shotguns is no way to stay in business.

"The growth industry in this country is not hunting," he said. "Hunting is a declining activity. In reality, the average customer is a young person who wants something they see in a video game."

Source: Times Colonist

Comments

Re: 'Black Rifles' Popularized by Games Trending in Canada

From Montréal, Québec, Canada, that's news to us as well... Also, never heard them call that before...

Need more source?

Re: 'Black Rifles' Popularized by Games Trending in Canada

black rifle?  wtf is a black rifle?  is that where you take an ordinary rifle and spray it down with black paint?  tbh, i'd prefer a bacon rifle...

Man crouching behind a rifle made from bacon

Re: 'Black Rifles' Popularized by Games Trending in Canada

As a firearm's enthusiast, hunter and gamer I can say with a high degree of certainty that the phrase 'Black Rifles' has never been uttered in Manitoba. Anyone I've spoken to about those weapons have called them the same thing I and the rest of the world do, 'Assault Rifles'. Using only a Newfie and a Vancouverite as resources is a poor way to go about it.

Re: 'Black Rifles' Popularized by Games Trending in Canada

having live in MB and SK, i can agree with you wholeheartedly. Sounds like that gun retailer was trying to advertise himself in the hopes of starting a new trend.

Re: 'Black Rifles' Popularized by Games Trending in Canada

I live in Alberta, Canada. First I have ever heard of this. My father happens to be a former Captain. He, or anybody, including myself have never heard anyone use the term "Black Rifle". Even my fiancee's 10 year old nephew (little demon child) calls those assault rifles. They were just as cool as they were 18 years ago when I was his age :P

Re: 'Black Rifles' Popularized by Games Trending in Canada

The source of all this? 1 gun collector, and 1 gun retailer.

I'm sure they've got the entire scope of our nations buying habits close in mind.

Re: 'Black Rifles' Popularized by Games Trending in Canada

And I blame croquet for people swapping over from Flintlocks...

james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am
james_fudgeodd why would they delete pro vita comments?10/21/2014 - 12:50am