EA under Fire in Germany over Origin, Battlefield 3

November 1, 2011 -

Overclock.net has gathered an avalanche of stories related to how Battlefield 3 and Origin are being received in Germany (thanks to Solarian for tip). The short answer is that Germans seem to hate it because of the company's terms of service and what Origin is doing on people's PCs.

The first article in German gaming magazine GameStar features an analysis of the ToS by a German lawyer, who says that it enables EA to gather all kinds of information on the computer for some vague use. They call this a "massive privacy violation."

Another damning bit of information comes from the Amazon forums, where a user shows off a YouTube video of Origin accessing programs it shouldn't. The video maker claims that Origin accessed a tax management program and their cellphone management software. They found this by using a process monitor. That video can be found here. Naturally this is not helping the game's rating on Amazon's German site.

Another story linked by Overclock.net says that German retailer Media Markt/Saturn is accepting opened returns of the game at its retail outlets.

The print media is even getting on the bandwagon; Lübecker Zeitung ran a story recently with the headline, "Datatrap in new shootergame." "Games giant wants to spy on customers" is a recent headline of weekly newspaper Der Spiegel. Finally, if you understand German, this news report will be of interest. So far, EA has not publicly commented on this raft of stories about Origin.

We'll have more on this story as it develops. In the interim, check out Overclock.net's exhuastive list of news stories, forums posts, and online petitions for more details.

Comments

Re: EA under Fire in Germany over Origin, Battlefield 3

One more reason why Origin will never be on my computer.  EA, hurry up and put your games back on Steam.  That is, unless you don't want my money...

Re: EA under Fire in Germany over Origin, Battlefield 3

Really Germany, YOU'RE worried about big gaming companies spying? Okay... http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111031/13205016572/germany-to-put-spe... Fucking hypocrites.

-------

"WARNING GUARANTEE: This post contains material which a truly free society would neither fear nor suppress."

Re: EA under Fire in Germany over Origin, Battlefield 3

These are German gamers and German game news outlets.

NOT the German government.

Learn the friggin' difference, and bear in mind that they're probably not happy about EITHER arrangement- this one just happens to be in focus because it's the most recent.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am