Silicon Knights Confirms Layoffs

November 1, 2011 -

Ontario-based, Silicon Knights has laid off 45 employees, leaving around 40 employees left at the studio, according to multiple published reports. Earlier reports had the number a bit higher. The company is best known for developing such titles as Blood Omen, Too Human and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, and is one of Ontario’s oldest development studios. The layoffs are apparently related to the completion of a project for Activision Blizzard.

Mike Mays, chief financial officer of Silicon Knights, confirmed the layoffs to the Financial Post on Tuesday, saying that the company laid off 45 employees — just under half its workforce — leaving an employee base of “just under 40.”

“We just finished a project with [Activision Blizzard Inc.] that got completed,” he explained.

Silicon Knights is currently negotiating contracts for new projects, according to Mays, though he didn't provide details on what those new projects might be. If the talks are successful, Mays said the company plans to rehire its former employees.

"So hopefully this layoff will be short term," he added.

Source: Financial Post

Comments

Re: Silicon Knights Confirms Layoffs

I kind of assumed they had ceased to exist after Too Human...  >.>

Re: Silicon Knights Confirms Layoffs

Who (other than himself) will Denis Dyack blame for this latest failure?

Re: Silicon Knights Confirms Layoffs

It sounds less like a failure to me and more like what projects they have are in the stages where they don't need much manpower.

MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm