Family Court Judge under Investigation for Beating ‘File-Sharing’ Daughter in 2004

A Texas Family Court judge is now under investigation by the state's top law enforcement agency – the Texas Rangers – after a video surfaced of him beating his 16-year-old daughter Hillary Adams for downloading music and games from the Internet. The video was shot in 2004, but someone claiming to be his daughter posted the video on YouTube on October 27. The Aransas County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams was running for re-election. Chances are that re-election bid is dead in the water because Adams is clearly seen beating his daughter (who has cerebral palsy) on her legs and lower back because she refused to turn over.

You can get the details on the incident here, or watch the video to your left. We want to warn you that the video is extremely violent and contains graphic language.

BlindMaphisto says:

Growing up I don't think I had a spanking that lasted more than 10 seconds for things much worse than filesharing. This is just plain old child abuse and I hope he goes to fucking prison.

beef_erikson says:

This was difficult for me to watch and actually had to turn it off. I come from a family where I got beat much like this and it still haunts me to this day, 30 years later. I hope this son of a bitch gets the full extent of the law and all cases he has presided over reviewed; clearly he is sympathetic towards those who beat and abuse their children and likely tried his cases with that bias.

I'd like to see the big man try that crap on someone his size…

Hevach says:

Saw this story on another site, and somebody there did a bit of homework on it. The article mentions he's a family court judge, but it doesn't mention he has a substantial history of dismissing domestic violence cases and returning children from protective custody to abusive families. Because he claims most "victims" are just spoiled children trying to get their parents in trouble.

If you pay attention, he beats her until the thick leather belt he starts with breaks, and leaves to get another. I only mention that to emphasize that he's dismissed cases that make this beating sound tame.

Also, to people condemning the mother along with him, she was abused in similar manner for decades, and has since gotten herself and her daughter out of that situation.

Vake Xeacons says:

I had it once or twice with the belt, but one time my dad accidently hit my brother with the buckle, and we never saw the belt again. My dad always made sure he was calm before a spanking, to make sure anger wasn't his motivation (like this).

I won't argue whether file-sharing is wrong. It's his house. But this beating is just unconscionable. And the mom even helped. She should be in just as much trouble as he is.

elsimer says:

not to mention the fact that he comes back into the room because he "didn't get his licks in"?! This so-called man should be disbarred, plain and simple.

asmodai says:

There's a difference between giving a kid a whack on the bum with a belt and beating them mercilessly, particularly when the crime is bloody filesharing of all things

Here's a thought, take away her internet access or her computer if it irked him that much…

Never mind the whole cerebral palsy.

Erik says:

This seemed to be a mite bit severe.  But not all belt beatings are like this.  I was often beat with a belt growing up.  But that was all of 3-5 seconds, not over the course of minutes.

I was also beat with wooden spoons, rulers, a wooden paddle my step father made, and of course hands

Shahab says:

What an asshole. I got a few spankings growing up but I wasn't beat with a belt. That is criminal child abuse plain and simple. I know some will disagree but if you are using an object and hitting in anger that is abuse plain and simple. I hope that douche bag ***. That mom is just as bad. I hope they both burn.

AE: A little far there.